Casting from PC stops when inserting headphone jack

Solved!

Casting from PC stops when inserting headphone jack

Plan

Premium

Country

Holland

Device

W10 Spotify app and android phones (Apple might have the same problem)

My Question or Issue

Whenever I plug my headset in to my phone Spotify stops casting to my Chromecast. I find the trigger: 'switch to android phone whenever the 3,5mm jack is occupied' really annoying. 

I'm working from home and I'm usually casting from my W10 PC to a Chromecast that's plugged in to my home cinema set. Whenever I get a phone call I plug my gaming headset in to my phone to keep my hands free. About 2 seconds in to the phone call Spotify starts using my headset speakers. 

1. I don't want to listen to music when I make a phone call.
  2. Plugging in a headset in to my phone doesn't mean i'm switching devices.
  3. I read that Bluetooth devices have the same problem.
  4. Closing the Spotify app on my phone before inserting the audio jack helps sometimes.
  5. Even when i'm casting from my phone to a Chromecast I still don't want Spotify to switch device when I insert an audio jack. 
  6. Automatically interrupting a song is ALWAYS A BIG MUSICAL NO NO!!!

My suggestion:

Add a setting that disables the (far from) 'intelligent device switching'. 

Similar topics:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Spotify-automatically-switches-to-my-phone-when-heaphones/m...

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Spotify-Connect-switches-to-headphones-on-my-mobile/m-p/505...

PS: Good job on the casting from PC improvements. I used to have to open the Android app to switch back to my home cinema set. Now i can do it from the PC 👍

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there @MC_trouble,

Thank you for your post and feedback here in the Community.

This is indeed expected and was implemented due to other user feedback to cover for the most common usage scenario, but we see how a customizable option can be useful. If you think other users would like this as well, we recommend that you create a new idea about it.

We're always testing things by adding or removing features to make Spotify better overall and we're constantly aiming to improve our features. 

You can read more about how your feedback reaches Spotify here.

Once again - thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. Let us know if we can help with anything else. 

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey there @MC_trouble,

Thank you for your post and feedback here in the Community.

This is indeed expected and was implemented due to other user feedback to cover for the most common usage scenario, but we see how a customizable option can be useful. If you think other users would like this as well, we recommend that you create a new idea about it.

We're always testing things by adding or removing features to make Spotify better overall and we're constantly aiming to improve our features. 

You can read more about how your feedback reaches Spotify here.

Once again - thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. Let us know if we can help with anything else. 

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hi, I'm a little **bleep** off here - "Casting stops when inserting headphone jack or connecting Bluetooth" is a REAL PROBLEM! It makes no sense to interrupt content (music) that is casting (usually to a family, group of friends, coworkers or people dancing at a party) just because someone with Spotify needs to take a call. It's pure nonsense and a true BUG (someone didn't think this thru - which has happened before with Spotify).

Ok, this post is obviously written in the form of a suggestion/idea but you have the OP go through the "new idea form" (for what I really consider being a bug). Ok, fine, but when he/she does (https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Android-Connect-Add-an-option-to-disable-the-far-from/...) you bundle it with another (UNRELATED) "idea" with one single Vote. You close down both ideas with no way for users to protest and/or comment.

You have to re-open the idea (above link) and also treat it as a bug report. Also, you can't just push new, untested functionality that totally break functionality and then use your "idea" system to just bury every scream for help!

Hey @slamhound,

Thanks for posting here.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and we'll make sure to pass it on to the right team.

Feel free to still vote for this idea. Even though the idea is with a status Closed - Not Enough Votes. folks can still add their votes and comments in order to support it. We’ll continue to monitor the idea and will update it, once it gets the required votes.

The Community is here for you if there's anything else!

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thanks for your reply and yes, please do pass it on! However, your information is incorrect on a number of points. Here are a couple:

1. The idea that you refer to is NOT at all, as you claim, open for comments, nor is the Original Idea "Add option to disable the (far from) intelligent device switching" - https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Android-Connect-Add-an-option-to-disable-the-far-from/... . That's why I'm writing in this space.

2. I completely fail to se how the two ideas are anywhere similar. One suggests AUX/Bluetooth choice and/or Blocking Bluetooth (could be a good idea imho. and I voted for it). The "similar one", the one I really subscribe to, suggests to remove (or at least make optional) the automatic switch from Casting audio when headphones or BT earphones connects to the device. The latter is much clearer and an obvious report of regression in the Spotify app (something that used to work no longer does so). Or, enlighten me if I'm wrong.

3. Linking/duplication of the issues affects the ability for users to vote for the correct idea. In this case the Casting problem idea is losing votes completely (being "Closed - Doesn't Meet Requirements" and all) and also giving votes to the AUX/Bluetooth problem/idea which incorrectly makes users think there will be a possibility to make Casting work properly again.

4. You mention that "other user feedback" introduced interrupting Casting audio. How was this even considered? Did one idea scramble 50 votes and you just implemented it? I'm really confident that that's not even the intent of that (what??) idea - it's probably an oversight from the design team that introduced this buggy behaviour and it really needs to be corrected. I quote the OP on this: "Automatically interrupting a song is ALWAYS A BIG MUSICAL NO NO!!!", and for clarity, I will add my own "NO!!!" to that.

So, my phone is the casting device at my work place but I'm also the one to make/receive the most phone calls. I always use handsfree so when I get a call, I turn on and connect my (usually Bluetooth) headset only to have the work place music stop for everyone and starting in my ears. This is EVERY TIME, let that sink in! I don't know how this functionality was researched (if at all) but it must have been through a VERY limited user group (possibly just one single developer not even knowing what a Casting device actually is and how it is most commonly used). I have an extra Chromecast Audio if you want to borrow it - I live only 3-4 blocks from your head quarters here in Stockholm and I would be happy to come by anytime.

Best regards

I'd just like to say that I have the same problem - often casting from desktop or phone with the need to take calls on bluetooth - and it is EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING when the music stops and starts playing over my call EVERY TIME. Not only that, the interruption is also annoying to others in the house listening to the casted music. There needs to be a user prompt or choice made before switching from casting to a different source, not automatic. There's no way this is an intentional function, it's a bug that needs to be fixed!

What is happening on this issue? The suggested idea, https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Android-Connect-Add-an-option-to-disable-the-far-from/...  is still closed as a duplicate of a completely different issue.

This "feuture" is idiotic - I have the exact same problem with this functionality. It has been like this for a long time and I have tried other services because of it. Spotify has my library though, but I thoroughly hate this "feature" and am appalled that there isn't a setting to turn this off. NO other app behaves like this in my phone. It's a huge pain point for me. 

Besides, this topic isnt "solved" at all. I am infuriated and have been for years over this issue. 

I have the same issue and agree with you all. If I've specifically chosen to cast to a device then connecting a bluetooth headset shouldn't assume that I want to stop the casting. I play sleep music at night for my kids and I have to cast it via a private session because there's no way to make my Google home use Spotify default as a private session which is extremely annoying as well. So my account which is tied to my Google home devices that everyone uses to play music totally messes up my algorithm and I get suggestions and Daily Mixes that are not my musical preferences. I thought I had finally found a work around with running a private session on my phone and casting only to have this other issue with casting being stopped when I connect a Bluetooth headset. 

Please add an option to not switch casting when connecting a headset or prompt the user in the app to accept the switch.

I can understand the scenario where a user is listening on their phone, connects a headset and the app automatically switching to the headset. However, if the user has specifically chosen to cast to a device, connecting to the Bluetooth headset when connected is a terrible user experience.

It's 2023 and why can't I decide for myself where I put my audio stream? This is a problem in many situations. Come on.

Any news on this issue? Please have someone take a look at this.I know there's a discussion on this at Spotify (#aaargh).

Suggested posts