Premium

Country

USA

Device

Desktop PC

Operating System

Windows 10 2H22

My Question or Issue

The only flac files i have on my local desktop do not import properly, for some reason have infinite repeating artist names, do not show image, and cause the spotify search function to completely stop working after listening to a single song. After the search function breaks, no songs can be played, and other playlists/album view/liked songs can not be opened as it is permanently stuck trying to play the song. I have tried reinstalling spotify and this issue is happening for both versions (from the windows store, and from the installer off the site). I have consistent local file issues with your player and have for years. Atleast file sync works somewhat.. I also have local songs permanently stuck in my liked songs list as i no longer can unlike them. 

Screenshot 2023-01-05 161044.png
Screenshot 2023-01-05 161447.png
3 Replies

Hey @TofuBoy420,

Thank you for reaching out here in the Community.

We'd suggest to head over to this FAQ to find out what else you can try to fix local files that are not playing in the app. 

In case you've checked all of the above, your local files were purchased and downloaded from an official source and even then there is still an error, we'll recommend to perform a clean reinstall of the app on your device, to check if you notice any difference. You've mentioned that you've already reinstalled the app, but this one is more thorough than the usual one. The steps for a clean reinstall can be found in this article.

Cheers! 

LyubkaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

The artist name repeats with a semicolon. This isn't about "files that are not playing in the app".

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Pixel 7 and PC

Operating System

Android 14 and Windows 11

My Question or Issue

I have a song on my Windows PC that is both in MP3 and FLAC format. I kept both files in the same Music folder that I have added as a local file source in the Windows Spotify app. On the Windows app, there is no issue playing the song. However, I added this song to a playlist on my phone and tried downloading the playlist so that I could get the song on my phone, but it kept failing to download the song (I have other songs in this playlist that are local files on my PC that downloaded fine to my phone). Eventually I tried moving the FLAC file to another folder not tracked by Spotify so that only the MP3 was visible to it, and this time when I tried downloading the playlist, it downloaded the song correctly. So there seems to be a bug here, the desktop app is capable of playing the song regardless of format (and it doesn't get confused by 2 versions of the same song, as I only see one result in my local files playlist in Spotify desktop), but when it tries to download to mobile (or at least just android) it fails to do so (perhaps it sees the FLAC first and the format isn't supported and then it errors out?)

Suggested posts