Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Changes to Friend Activity

Changes to Friend Activity

With Friend Activity you can see what your friends are listening to. Personally, I love Friend Activity because I can really get to know my friends’ tastes in music and dive right into what they’re listening to.

As of recently, if you want to continue sharing what you're listening to, you will need to enable it for your followers in Settings. If you’ve never turned this setting on before, you’ll need to turn it on to share your activity with your followers. This way, you’re always in control of what you’re sharing.

Hubo_0-1638967951767.png

Also, you may find that you don't see much activity from those you follow - that's because they might not have turned this setting on yet. Let them know you want to dig in on the cool stuff they're listening to! 

Check out this article for more information about Friend Activity. 

You can also block followers if you don’t want them to view your listening activity. Check out the steps under: ‘Block someone’ here for more information.

HuboSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
232 Replies

Most users DO NOT read emails from spotify, so even if you notify by email that is not enough. 
Do it right and notify everyone with a pop up on their APP

I've been having this problem for a week or so now, really a bummer to not see what my friends are listening to, it makes me feel alone. It seems to not work effectively when I logout or reinstall the app, aswell occur on recent products. 

I tried multiple times troubleshooting but it just cannot work.
But as seen in this article: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Changes-to-Friend-Activity/td-p/5311883

It claims there is a new update, that you must enable the setting, and they must aswell.

I hope this was helpful to you and I, but this is just ridiculous. 

I have had the exact same message, I have already signed in and out twice, done a quick uninstall, and done a clean reinstall. Nothing has helped. I'm glad knowing that I'm not the only one with this problem, I hope someone knows a solution. I am not on premium and I am on Windows 10.

Plan

Free

Country

Belgium

Device

Desktop

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Most of my friends in the Friends Activity border on the right are suddenly missing. I know for a fact that they have Share my listening activity on Spotify toggled on and aren't in private sessions. I have See what your friends are playing turned on as well. My version of Spotify is up to date and I've already tried restarting Spotify or my device.

I'm out of ideas. Is this a bug?

Hello! I'm 100% sure my friends turned on sharing their activity after the change, I even added new friends who have this feature turned on as well, and yet I still can't see it. I tried logging in and out and reinstalling the app, but nothing helps. I would appreciate your advice since I have no idea what else I can do.

2021-12-10_16h09_00.png
2021-12-10_15h39_15.png

yeah this is stupid, no ones getting doxxed over their music listening

I see that you can’t just undo an update and I see your reasoning behind it. All we are politely asking for, is for Spotify to inform all its users through popups and notifications on the mobile, web, and desktop app about the changes that have been made and how they can change them back if they want to. We would really appreciate if you could look into this, since everyone would benefit from being notified and the Friends-Feed could be used properly again.

can we please crash their chat support servers? maybe this might help

Maybe make this post into a new idea suggestion? So people can vote for it. Bc I think that would be a great idea!

although, i do need 50+ votes in a few hours so they don't take it down, can you please help me with that?

I submitted an idea that should help solve a lot of the sharing activity issues we've all been discussing across various posts. Definitely doesn't resolve all the chaos Spotify has caused but I think it's a good start. Would appreciate people giving it a look and trying to upvote it so they notice it.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/Desktop-Move-Share-Activity-Toggle-to-Friend-Activ...

I made a new idea suggestion concerning this issue, go give it a like to make this happen

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/Community-Friend-Feed-put-the-toggle-to-turn-your-... 

the thing is we need to give them a taste of their own medicine(annoy them as much as they annoyed us with it) by forcing them to bring everything back to how it was 

welp this just sucks doesn't it

we're not paying to get tortured! if it was a free service, they could do whatever they liked and we can't object

same here

1. Nobody asked to have their friend activity toggle turned off in the first place.

2. Spotify never informed anyone that they were going to turn off everyone’s toggle and the folks who intentionally wanted it has no idea that it’s turned off.

3. There has not been one idea submission or complaint from a Spotify user that the friend activity was a privacy violation.

4. Did you know that switching someone’s settings with them being informed is a huge privacy violation so whoever is in charge of turning off everyone’s friend activity toggle behind their back is a privacy violation and if anyone wanted to turn off their toggle they could have done it themselves.

Hi there folks,

We're happy to see some constructive feedback and suggestions here.

Shoutout to @LouisDavis for your comment on what you think would be a good way to improve visibility and your idea submission. We will be monitoring it closely for its votes. 

Posting duplicate ideas or threads on this however will not help and such will be closed. 

Inciting any sort of action that can lead to either direct or indirect harm to Spotify users or employees will also not be tolerated and the respective accounts banned.

Attempting to compromise support will lead to many people with account, subscription, payment and other issues without a possibility of getting help.

We cannot allow the Community to be used for such purposes and will be closing threads that attempt to do so.

We hope for your understanding and that you continue using Spotify and find it gets better in the future.

Once again - thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. Let us know if we can help you with anything else. 

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

all we're asking for is revert to this update

Suggested posts