Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Changes to Friend Activity

Changes to Friend Activity

With Friend Activity you can see what your friends are listening to. Personally, I love Friend Activity because I can really get to know my friends’ tastes in music and dive right into what they’re listening to.

As of recently, if you want to continue sharing what you're listening to, you will need to enable it for your followers in Settings. If you’ve never turned this setting on before, you’ll need to turn it on to share your activity with your followers. This way, you’re always in control of what you’re sharing.

Hubo_0-1638967951767.png

Also, you may find that you don't see much activity from those you follow - that's because they might not have turned this setting on yet. Let them know you want to dig in on the cool stuff they're listening to! 

Check out this article for more information about Friend Activity. 

You can also block followers if you don’t want them to view your listening activity. Check out the steps under: ‘Block someone’ here for more information.

HuboSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
232 Replies

A couple of months ago my friends activity started acting up and would only show me three of my friends activity when previously I had around ten of them. I have already updated my MacBook Pro and clean all cache of Spotify so as deleting and re download it. Still nothing I only see the same three people. So I ask my friends and the have their status available for me to see. 

To sum things up, I’m unable to see all of my friends activity.

Not on Mobile you can't. No friends on mobile app but that makes sense, people don't really use their phones too much.

On desktop why cant you see the Daily suggested spotify playlists

the funny thing is you only ever knew what anyone was listening to IF you followed them and they had their sharing on. people knew about this setting.

if they weren’t comfortable showing it, they turned it off or set it to private listening. everyone knew about it.!!! 

i don’t want to connect to facebook. i’m NOT PAYING FOR FACEBOOK!! i’m paying for spotify to get EVERYTHING i’m SUPPOSED to be paying for. 

i cannot believe spotify have done this and then REFUSE TO LISTEN!!!! this isn’t the way you’re supposed to do it.

- you put out a platform for THE WORLD TO USE.

- you charge 9.99 A MONTH 

- you had the SAME UPDATE FOR YEARS on the desktop app WHICH APPARENTLY MUST HAVE BEEN FOR A REASON

- you STOOD OUT from other listening and streaming platforms BECAUSE OF THE LISTENING SHARING 

- and now you’ve switched it off because of “privacy reasoning”…. ITS MUSIC… not personal data about the users….. 

- you REFUSE to listen to what YOUR CUSTOMERS ARE ASKING FOR TO HELP IMPROVE YOUR PLATFORM

WE JUST WANT THIS LISTENING SHARING TO BE REVERTED FOR ALL!!!

WE ARE THE ONES PAYING FOR YOUR APP!!!!!

YOU CAN’T CHANGE PEOPLE’S SETTINGS NOW, AFTER OVER A DECADE OF IT BEING IMPLEMENTED AND IT BEING A STANDARD SETTING SINCE THE VERY BEGINNING  ESPECIALLY WITH NO WARNING ⚠️ 

Hey @Estefanive,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community. We're happy to give you more information this.

In this case we suggest that you head over here and take part of the information that's provided in the statues.

Hopefully the information their will give you more clearance regarding this 🙂

Let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Super freaking lame and poorly communicated. The least you could have done is give people notice the change was coming and encourage them to keep it enabled. Ideally this option wouldn't be buried in the settings, but available via the Friends Activity panel.

For about a month now, I can't see any of my friends activity, tho I know they have it switched on. I myself have everything enabled  on my app and it still does not work. I don't know what the problem is. The spp is up to date, I reinstalled it, logged out and in and nothing worked.

Zrzut ekranu 2022-01-22 131814.png
Zrzut ekranu 2022-01-22 131708.png

Trying to get this issue at least partially resolved with a Spotify idea. It seems to be in the "they're going to look at it" phase but think it's important to keep sharing and getting likes on it so they're a bit more urgent about it

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Desktop-Friend-Feed-Move-Share-Activity-Toggle-to-Friend...

Same for me.... still. And yet talking to Spotify they say "everything is
working well. Please check your friends have set their activity sharing
on". Well duh... do you think we're that stupid Spotify??

Friend feed is just broken. Fix it. PLEASE!!!

Hi! I managed to fix the problem with the help of support team. I recommend you to contact them, they told me to create a new account, then refunded me for the month I've paid for premium and also transfered all of my liked songs and playlists to the newly created account

Spotify tried this for me too.   It didn't work.

That was a bit of a cumbersome fix though.... do they intend to do this for every user that is experiencing this problem??!!  Ridiculous!

Just fix the problem Spotify... that's all!   PLEASE!

I'm not sure whether this is the best solution for people who have had an account for an extended period, and who have acquired followers who they wish to reconnect with after this update cut them off. A new account means 0 followers - a sandbox scenario. How are you meant to re-engage with the people you have made friends with? Sorry, but the fix needs to work for existing accounts or it's not a fix it's a cop-out/ a joke, a runaround. If they can't fix it they need to admit it, not ask people to roll-back their accounts to a blank state. Nope. Not good enough...

thank you 👏 to the user above

This is all poorly handled. Friend activity should be an all apps, with a visible button to toggle it on or off, if they care so much about privacy. Notifications should be on desktop app as well. Playlist and albums shouldn't be in shuffle mode only on mobile.  Why did they create different apps for mobile, tablet and desktop? They should all offer the same experience. This is just a recipe for disaster and unhappy client base (paid and free too).

Really? Wow, that's terrible.

Da muss ich Dir Rechtgeben, statt es besser zu machen und eine APP für alle zumachen wird rumprobiert und die pro Kunden und auch kostenlos haben viele Probleme. Seit Jahren bin ich pro aber seit mehreren Monaten läuft vieles nicht oder nur ab und zu so geht es nicht weiter !!!
Heiner130 ist meine Signature bei last.FM
auf Spotify Heinz Peter Schwab und über Facebook findet Ihr mich auch !!!

same issue here, everything enabled yet there is this request to turn them on. i've uninstalled and logged out several times but the issue is still here. help, is there anyway to fix this?? it's been like this since december or so

SpaceGayRock_0-1643162378454.png

Hi, 

Can someone help me why I only can see two of my friends activities when I used to see over 20. I tried to restart the app, download again etc but nothing helped. Please help me if you know 🙂

I would love to have an answer to this as well. Following. 

Hey folks,

Thanks for posting here on the Community.

In case you don't see  all of your friends in your Friend Feed, it's a good idea to check with them to see if they've turned on the option Share my listening activity on Spotify. Currently this option is off by default.

You can also check out the solutions in the this thread for more information about Friends Activity.

Hope this helps. If you need anything else, the Community is here for you.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Following, Have had this issue for a few months now.

It used to show the full list now it only shows three friends activity.

Have confirmed they have "share my listening activity" turned on and still not showing up.

Tried using Spotify App from Microsoft Store and the download from Spotify.com, both have the no friend activity issue.

Suggested posts