Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Current Version Info

Current Version Info

Is there an easy way to determine if there's a more recent version than what I have installed? I've looked all over and haven't found anything that will simply state "current version X.X.X.X" . . .

10 Replies

You should be able to find out both what version you have installed, and if there are any updates in Spotify itself, actually.

Pop up to the top of Spotify and click on "Help", then "About Spotify".

Here, you should see what version of Spotify you have installed. If there are any updates, a new line should appear saying "A newer version of Spotify is available. Click here to install it".
Airhorn Enthusiast

Great, that's easy enough. Thanks mucho!

Why not make the current version of Spotify readily visible on the download site?

Why do I have to log onto Spotify , click help and check for updates and then log off if 

I am current.  

Why do many sites do this?  What is the downside of openly publishing and

making readily visible the current version?

Thanks

The Spotify client is auto-updating, so you will always be on the most recent version without needing to do anything. As soon as there is a new version available to you, the client will download and update, showing the update bar if you happen to be online when it does so. So why are version numbers even relevant? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

It's relevant if you want to diagnose whether the app is auto-updating correctly. In my case, it wasn't. 

Rather than just checking what the most current version number was against what Spotify on my Mac was reporting, I was forced to deduce it was out of date by the fact users on forums were discussing Spotify versions which were more advanced than the one I had.

I did a fresh install and, sure enough, I now have a version of Spotify which is v0.9.1.57. This is quite a jump from v8.3.222 which is what it was reporting just prior to the fresh install.

Interestingly. The new version seems to have installed itself, without prompting me for a location, in /Users/<USER>/Applications/... rather than in /Applications/... which is where all of my other apps are installed. I now have two versions of Spotify installed.

In any case, it would have been useful to have known the version number of the current release.

Hey,

I know you made this post a while ago, but I wanted to thank you. This has been driving me nuts for a while and I failed to think of looking at the app locations!!!!

GREAT tech work.

Lee

Exactly. Mine isn't updating properly. I even went to Spotify and reinstalled it and it keeps getting stuck on an older version. I get the message to restart to install the latest version, but when it restarts, the notice is there again and when I check, the version hasn't changed.
So, yes, it would be helpful if Spotify posted what the latest version is and a file to install it.

the newer the version, the worse they get IMO.

Had also trouble here to with the auto-update function, had to check manually for what was the latest version.

It would have been nice to be able to see which is the latest released version on a forum post that has all the updates.

In addition to checking whether it's updating correctly....it's relevant when trying to diagnose whether the "currently installed version" (whatever that is) is playing nicely with related software...(with Airfoil, for example)...or whether there are conflicts.....and then being able to determine WHICH version WAS working and WHEN.

(Don't be too "lemming-ish")

Suggested posts