Premium

Country

Sweden

Device

Desktop computer

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

This has happened a few times before, but now for several days it seems like my spotify on my desktop is not connected to anything. I can play some songs, but a lot of them are greyed out and when I try to play I just get the message "Spotify can't play this right now...", even though they are playable on my Android. 

And the phone and computer isn't connected through devices. I used to be able to see on my phone what the computer was playing and and vice versa, and choose where to play from. But now I can play from both sources at the same time, from the same account. 

It also doesn't register on last.fm when I play from the desktop computer, even though it does from my phone. 

I spent several hours yesterday searching through this forum for a solution. A lot of people have a similar issue, and sometimes they have solved it in strange ways. Like deleting a system file from the windows folder or changing the frequency output on the sound card. But nothing worked for me, and more importantly there hasn't been a single working idea from Spotify. 

I have already done everything you've told everyone else. Gone through all the troubleshooting, uninstalled software and drivers, changed speakers, everything. But still I can't play the songs on my playlist. It's such a strange and annoying problem. I really hope there is something you can do! 

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37wHv2Qz6Ujavs1nrU5iMu?si=mT5ZDR_sSs2yjTA7XjWQHw

Here is an example playlist, I can't play track 2 and 3 on my computer, but I can play them on my phone. 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @lembas,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this - we'll be glad to help you out.

The first thing to do is to perform a clean reinstall of the app on your desktop device by following the steps listed in this support article.

If that doesn't work, could you try installing Spotify from the Windows Store or from the Spotify website here, whichever one you haven't done yet?

Thanks! Let us know how it goes. We'll be here in case you need any further help with this.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @lembas,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this - we'll be glad to help you out.

The first thing to do is to perform a clean reinstall of the app on your desktop device by following the steps listed in this support article.

If that doesn't work, could you try installing Spotify from the Windows Store or from the Spotify website here, whichever one you haven't done yet?

Thanks! Let us know how it goes. We'll be here in case you need any further help with this.

It actually worked with the app from Windows Store, but still not working
with the download from the website. Thanks!

I'm sorry but I was too fast, I tried the solution on my laptop and it worked, but now I came home to my stationary pc and it's still the same issue.

My laptop, phone and browser player all are connected. But the player on my stationary pc is not connected with any other players. And I've tried several times installing both from a download from the website and from the Windows store. And I always log in from Facebook on all different platforms. 

Please help me!

Hey @lembas,

Thanks for getting back to us. No worries - we'll keep at it 🙂

We tried opening the playlist on our end and it seems that the tracks you mentioned are local files.

Can you confirm that only the local files on this playlist are grayed out?

If that's the case, could you try the steps suggested by @Jacob at the bottom of this Spotify Answer and see if that helps?

Let us know how it goes! We'll be here in case you need any further help.

Suggested posts