Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Does Spotify count Local files as listened to?

Solved!

Does Spotify count Local files as listened to?

I have whole mixtapes and albums which aren't on Spotify otherwise. Does anyone know if these actually get counted in places like Spotify.me and 20XX wrapped. So far from what I can see, they don't go on the 2018 wrapped playlist and they aren't anywhere else. I feel that my stats aren't accurate at all, which is kinda annoying 😕

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there @Hennart,

Welcome to the Community!

Currently the total listening time calculation is done based upon the time you've spent listening to official content on the app and does not include the time you've spent listening to local files.

If you think other users might also like this to be altered, go ahead and create an idea on the relevant idea board. We always take new ideas and feedback into consideration to improve the app. Here you can read more on how ideas work.

We also suggest checking this help article for useful tips on how to submit an idea. As a heads-up, it's good to know that the higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for the idea to be implemented :slightly_smiling_face: 

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Have a great day!

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Hey there @Alsing,

thanks for reaching out to the community !

As local files aren't part of the Spotify database they won't be counted and listed to create similar suggestions to the music you like or added to the total wrap.

In addition, addressing you first note, please check this statment by Spotity, concerning missing content.

Hope this helps 😃

But does Spotify add the listened Time to the calculation at the End of the Year?

Marked as solution

Hey there @Hennart,

Welcome to the Community!

Currently the total listening time calculation is done based upon the time you've spent listening to official content on the app and does not include the time you've spent listening to local files.

If you think other users might also like this to be altered, go ahead and create an idea on the relevant idea board. We always take new ideas and feedback into consideration to improve the app. Here you can read more on how ideas work.

We also suggest checking this help article for useful tips on how to submit an idea. As a heads-up, it's good to know that the higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for the idea to be implemented :slightly_smiling_face: 

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Have a great day!

AlexModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Local files should 100% be like this

Hello

I want to know if Spotify uses statistics got from a user playing Local Files (that have been added to the application) on their device and how it contributes to their music recommendations.

For instance, if I play a particular song a lot (a local media file), does it affect my Discover Weekly or Repeat playlists?

How does that compare to liking a song? Does it affect the "Made for you" playlists?

Hey @samuelawachie,

Thank you for posting here in the Community.

Spotify only collects statistics on official music from the platform. If you're listening to your local files - then Spotify acts just like an ordinary music player. These songs and the time you spent listening to the files that you've uploaded doesn't contribute to your music recommendations.

Made for you playlists are based on your listening habits (what you like, share, save, skip). If you'd like to discover new music, you can use the Radio feature or head to Search and choose a category where you'll find a lot of playlists made by Spotify. Discover Weekly and Release Radar are also oriented towards exploring new music.

Note that listening in Private mode may not also influence the Made for You playlists (for example Daily Mixes, Discover Daily, etc. )  and you may not get too many new recommendations.

Hope this clears things up. If you have any questions or need anything else, the Community is here for you.

LyubkaModerator

Interestingly, Spotify doesn't track local file music at all. I would like to see how much I have listened to my local files and got them to count to my yearly wrapped package. I would like this to be a new feature since some artist doesn't publish their music on Spotify and local files is the only place you can listen to them from. Because at the moment they don't count toward anything in Spotify I feel like I don't get the best experience in this app.

Suggested posts