Don't see Chromecast Audio in my device list on Spotify for PC

Solved!
Highlighted

Don't see Chromecast Audio in my device list on Spotify for PC

freefrench
Casual Listener

Are Spotify users able to cast music from Spotify software (Windows 8/10 PC), but I don't see my Chromecast Audio on my available device list.

I only see my 2 PC.

I tried on both my PC.

Could someone help me with this issue ?

Thanks.

P.S.:

I see ChromeCast Audio on my Android App.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution!

Re: Don't see Chromecast Audio in my device list on Spotify for PC

guitarhero1324

Still no update from Spotify - pretty poor really.

SOLUTION: Open Spotify Web Player (https://play.spotify.com/browse) and play your tunes through your chrome browser. Click the cast button from the chromecast extension (top right) - click "cast this tab" to your deivce. 

Voila! 

(I am literally doing this right now. Volume control seems to work also.) 

Solution!

It seems like you can populate the device list by casting from your phone after it has stolen the stream from a desktop install. First I get the green bar at the bottom of the desktop app when my phone becomes the playback device. Then on my phone I cast to my chromecast audio or chromecast ultra which automatically updates the id of the device that is currently streaming in the device list in the desktop app. From then on I have total control through the desktop spotify app of a stream that's going through my chromecast audio. 

And I get to flip the high quality audio switch which makes me feel good. 

Solution!

okanbasoglu

Hi,

I solved the issue by starting the spotify app on chromecast by starting it on the phone.

After that my spotify app on desktop can see it as a source now. I am listening it on right now :)

119 Replies

earthman
Regular

Same situation with Mac OS X.

Once streaming has been started with iPhone, Chromecast shows up in device-list on Mac.

muhmuh

Same situation here! Please fix!

kevuin

Same here, on OSX

Works only when I connect though my Android phone

littlbee
Regular

So the common issue for everyone here is that you can see your Chromecast Audio from spotify on mobile, start a music session, and continue that session from a spotify desktop client. But if you stop or kill spotify on your mobile, than the desktop client is not able to connect to the chromecast audio. All in all it is impossible to listen to spotify via chromecast if there is not a mobile device in the middle to initiate the session. This is by far the dumbest limitation I have ever seen in that kind of connected device scenario. 

Reading this thread, it seems Spotify even told a user that the chromecast support is ONLY for mobile for now.  I'm amazed there was no mention from this in all of last week's communications. And it seriously handicap the value of the chromecast audio.

TheRijn

Same problem, hope they will support the Chromecast Audio soon on OS X and Windows.

thegrimbeaker
Regular
Yeah, otherwise the chromecast audio isn't all that useful...might as well just plug the mobile/tablet directly into the speaker with a 3.5 jack

fabss
Additionally to the afforementioned problem it is also not possible to control the volume of the chromecast audio output from within the Windows application. It is however, possible to control it via the android app. Please also fix that issue!

Cheers
Fabian

JohannesF
Casual Listener

I'm on MAC OS X with the same problem. :'(

However, the problem might not be on Spotify's end? On both iPad and iPhone you need to install the Chromecast app to be able to set up the Chromcast Audio. There is, however, no app for any of the new Chromecasts in the App Store, maybe this is where the problem lies?

This is a real shame though.
With Chromecast Audio there is finally a good alternative to the old and slow Airport Express.

I really, really, really hope that this gets sorted somehow.

colinodell
Casual Listener

This feature is supposedly coming soon: https://twitter.com/SpotifyCares/status/650114757123510273

SUGGESTED POSTS