Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Don't see Chromecast Audio in my device list on Spotify for PC

Solved!

Don't see Chromecast Audio in my device list on Spotify for PC

Are Spotify users able to cast music from Spotify software (Windows 8/10 PC), but I don't see my Chromecast Audio on my available device list.

I only see my 2 PC.

I tried on both my PC.

Could someone help me with this issue ?

Thanks.

P.S.:

I see ChromeCast Audio on my Android App.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Good news!

You can now find Chromecast in the connect "devices available" menu in the Spotify desktop app and browser web player. Now you can cast your music to Chromecast from the desktop app without having to use the iOS or Android app.

Make sure your Spotify desktop app is up to date

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

119 Replies

Same situation with Mac OS X.

Once streaming has been started with iPhone, Chromecast shows up in device-list on Mac.

Same situation here! Please fix!

Same here, on OSX

Works only when I connect though my Android phone

So the common issue for everyone here is that you can see your Chromecast Audio from spotify on mobile, start a music session, and continue that session from a spotify desktop client. But if you stop or kill spotify on your mobile, than the desktop client is not able to connect to the chromecast audio. All in all it is impossible to listen to spotify via chromecast if there is not a mobile device in the middle to initiate the session. This is by far the dumbest limitation I have ever seen in that kind of connected device scenario. 

Reading this thread, it seems Spotify even told a user that the chromecast support is ONLY for mobile for now.  I'm amazed there was no mention from this in all of last week's communications. And it seriously handicap the value of the chromecast audio.

Same problem, hope they will support the Chromecast Audio soon on OS X and Windows.

Yeah, otherwise the chromecast audio isn't all that useful...might as well just plug the mobile/tablet directly into the speaker with a 3.5 jack

Additionally to the afforementioned problem it is also not possible to control the volume of the chromecast audio output from within the Windows application. It is however, possible to control it via the android app. Please also fix that issue!

Cheers
Fabian

I'm on MAC OS X with the same problem. :'(

However, the problem might not be on Spotify's end? On both iPad and iPhone you need to install the Chromecast app to be able to set up the Chromcast Audio. There is, however, no app for any of the new Chromecasts in the App Store, maybe this is where the problem lies?

This is a real shame though.
With Chromecast Audio there is finally a good alternative to the old and slow Airport Express.

I really, really, really hope that this gets sorted somehow.

This feature is supposedly coming soon: https://twitter.com/SpotifyCares/status/650114757123510273

I think this is true. It only works on iOS and Android.

I found a conversation about it on reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Chromecast/comments/3peqqg/spotify_works_on_chromecast_from_phone_and_table...

and here:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web/Connecting-to-Chromecast-from-Window...

The reason is that Google hasn't made an SDK available for desktop yet.

However, if you start playback from the mobile app and select the Chromecast, then it will show in the desktop app that it is playing on the chromecast. It doesn't show the chromecast icon next to the device, but it does show a TV screen and you can control it from the desktop app.

Maybe Spotify can get around this limitation in a future update to the desktop app, but as of version 1.0.16 of the desktop app, you will have to start the stream to the chromecast from the mobile app.

MattSudaSpotify Star

Thanks for all the answers.

"The reason is that Google hasn't made an SDK available for desktop yet."

It is weird because Google Play Music is able to cast from a PC (Chrome browser) to Chromecast audio.

@freefrench

Yes that is correct, but Google makes the Chrome browser so they added support themselves. 

However, they have not released an SDK allowing other desktop apps besides chrome to implement a cast button I think. Not 100% sure, but I haven't heard of any desktop apps supporting chromecast. 

MattSudaSpotify Star

Google Play Music is based on Chrome. You can use http://play.spotify.com and use Chrome's cast extension to cast audio to your Chromecast Audio although I'm sure the streaming quality is lesser than with the desktop client.

To my eyes, stating that Google hasn't released a desktop SDK is a mere excuse. There are dekstop apps (although not much I agree) that can cast movies to Chromecast. And, actually, you're not really casting from your desktop to the Chromecast audio. The Chromecast audio is running a Spotify receiver and receives the music stream right from the internet, ie the music does NOT go from the internet to your Spotify Desktop client then from there onto your Chromecast Audio). 

A "lite" solution (waiting for a better solution): You can use Chromecast Audio from your computer using the Web Player (Chrome) and the Chromecast Chrome extension.

@MattSuda Thanks for that workaround. Opening it on the phone does indeed allow you to control it from the PC/laptop. Thanks! 🙂
Spotify join date: 5th March 2009

If I had seen this discussion before, I would not have bought the chromecast. Spotify premium is on my windows laptop, i have no need for spotify on my telephone, but i really would like to play the music through my hifi installation without using cables. The suggestion is that chromecast is able to that for me, but alas! I sincerely hope there will be soon an update.

Dear sapojump
That helps but you still not being able to control the volume
Also using it that way decreases sound quality
Hope they fix this soon !

Still no update from Spotify - pretty poor really.

SOLUTION: Open Spotify Web Player (https://play.spotify.com/browse) and play your tunes through your chrome browser. Click the cast button from the chromecast extension (top right) - click "cast this tab" to your deivce. 

Voila! 

(I am literally doing this right now. Volume control seems to work also.) 

"soon" ain't ever soon ennough, media casting needs to work soon on PC and Android, this is very late coming compared to Airplay.

UpnP and DLNA are under used, and Chromecast support is anemic on phones and PC from Spotify and others.

Suggested posts