Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How can you modify / customize radio stations like you can with Pandora?

Solved!

How can you modify / customize radio stations like you can with Pandora?

Hi all, I'd like to customize radio stations to add artists, but the only option I'm seeing is to follow artists. Can you customize radio stations in Spotify like you can with Pandora? I didn't find anything on the boards for this. And also, how do you delete radio stations? I'm not finding Spotify to be very intuitive. Thanks in advance!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Good luck with that.

If you're here for the Radio you're gonna be disappointed.  I have a lot of friends who are into Pandora and others, but at Spotify, Radio is more an afterthought than a main feature.  It boils down to the way you listen to music.  If I want radio, which isn't very often, I head over to last.fm

View solution in original post

36 Replies

I'm not familiar with Pandora (not available here in the UK) - what do you mean by 'modify'? You can thumbs up and down tracks to tailor stations so they suit your taste better. You can also create stations based from entire playlists if you're noticing it's always the same kinds of artists with the default stations.

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

In Pandora you can customize your radio stations. For example, if I make a Neko Case radio station, I can manually add similar artists of my choosing that I would like to hear on that station. I'm not seeing how you can do that in Spotify.

Hey there and very warm welcome to the Spotify Community 🙂

Thanks for your question.

Youn can do that. Creat an playlist with your favorite artists / songs and click "Playlist Radio". Does it help at all?

There is no limit, no no limit, of how much artists you can add to your playlist (but track limit is 10,000).

If any problems with Spotify in future, just come back and let me know. I will help you.

Greetings,
Jyri

Hi Jyri,

In Pandora you can create multiple radio stations vs. one long playlist, which is what I think you're saying.

For example, I could set up a Black Sabbath (heavy metal) station and choose artists to add to it. And then I can create a new Wilco (alternative) station and add artists to that. So depending on what I feel like hearing, I can have various stations with different styles. I'm assuming you can't do that in Spotify?

Thank you!

Hey there and thanks for your question 🙂

There is no option to do that in Spotify, I'm sorry.

Have you tried to see if there is already an idea in Idea forum in Spotify? Come this way and vote for ideas you like -- or feel free to create One!

Greetings,
Jyri

So you can't customize radio stations, and you can't delete radio stations. These are 2 very simple things that Pandora has over Spotify.

I'm trying out the paid version of Spotify and I don't understand why anyone would pay $10 per month for something lacking such basic features. The message boards are long & extraneous just as the Spotify features are and I don't have that kind of time to search for answers (which so far have been "Spotify doesn't have that capability". There's too much going on with Spotify that I have no use for and it should be simplified.

Totally agree...I am on the 30 day premuim trial and will cancel.  Why would I pay $10 a month for a piece a softwate that won't let me make basic modifications...like deleting a created radio station that I sdon't like or don't want attatched to my profile anymore.

Rookie bull**bleep**.  You gotta do better to cmpete.

@WBM wrote:

Totally agree...I am on the 30 day premuim trial and will cancel.  Why would I pay $10 a month for a piece a softwate that won't let me make basic modifications...like deleting a created radio station that I sdon't like or don't want attatched to my profile anymore.

You can always just not listen to that channel;  I keep adding new ones all the time. I admit it would me nice to be able to delete radio stations, but there are many other issues that need tackling first.  IMHO.  You're not paying for the software.  The radio feature is secondary to the extensive library.

Create the playlist, right-click the play list, press start radio station 

I know that adding a playlist with the artists you want on your radio station is a bit of a workaround/trick to do what you want, but it's also very easy to do and should accomplish the same goal as adding artists to a station on Pandora.  And it shouldn't have to be a very long playlist, assuming you don't want to include 500 artists.  You can probably just add a few tracks from each artist.  Then you can give thumbs up to the artists you really want on that station to reinforce it.

totally agree! This is the last month I'll use spotify paying for an incomplete service!

@WBM wrote:

I am so glad you asked this question! I have literally spent hours fine tuning my Pandora station with a crazy eclectic list of artists and songs to create a station that plays stuff I have never heard, but I love as well as stuff I know and love. I can listen all day (and do) and never hear the same song. If spotify cannot allow me such control over my station why would I bother? My station is named moody blues, but that was just the start; I have everything from Ani Difranco to Creedence to RHCP to Propellerhead to Buttholesurfers and on and on. 

If Spotify ever lets me have control like that on a station I will consider.

Marked as solution

Good luck with that.

If you're here for the Radio you're gonna be disappointed.  I have a lot of friends who are into Pandora and others, but at Spotify, Radio is more an afterthought than a main feature.  It boils down to the way you listen to music.  If I want radio, which isn't very often, I head over to last.fm

Thank you so much for your reply! You are kind in an internet world of trolls. I was worried I would get flamed because i just could not find the modify features in Spotify.

Cheers!

this is an interesting workaround, however, once you launch a radio from a playlist, if you modify the playlist, will the playing station be affected?

or do you have to start the station all over again?

thanks!

@djselarom wrote:

this is an interesting workaround, however, once you launch a radio from a playlist, if you modify the playlist, will the playing station be affected?

or do you have to start the station all over again?

thanks!

Good question.  It should take any playlist changes into consideration, but I'm not sure if it would do so while you're currently playing it. 

actually a friend and I did some tests and it does appear to check against the list in real-time. It took a few tracks for it to recognize changes, but it does appear to consider any changes to the playlist even as it is playing.

very cool indeed, and thanks again for the suggestion

@djselarom wrote:

actually a friend and I did some tests and it does appear to check against the list in real-time. It took a few tracks for it to recognize changes, but it does appear to consider any changes to the playlist even as it is playing.

very cool indeed, and thanks again for the suggestion

Good to hear.  Enjoy!

So I've tried many times to create a multi genre radio station with out success. I've created both very large and very short playlists with rock, hip hop, etc... And the radio from that playlist is only one genre. I've even tried a two song playlist: wild horses by the stones and shark attack by grouplove. Spotify radio will only play grouplove type songs. Any one figure this out?

Suggested posts