Premium

Country

Russian

Device

Windows Macbook Pro late 2019/ Huawei P30 Pro

Operating System

Windows 10 (Web/desktop) / Android / Mac os

My Question or Issue

I want to block song and artist in daily mix. I try search dislike button and i don't find.

2020-07-22_144510.png
2020-07-22_144410.png
2020-07-22_144344.png
Top Answer
Mihail
Spotify Legend

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your feedback, we really appreciate it.

It would seem that other user went ahead and posted this idea about making the Don't Play this feature to function account wide across playlists and devices.

While the right folks are reviewing your reports, it's a good idea to upvote the idea. That way we can have a more accurate count of how many users would like this feature.

We recommend that you also subscribe, we'll share any updates on the matter in the Status Update there, as soon as there are any. 

Hope this is useful. Do let us know if something else comes up.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @dementir, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Currently the option to block an artist from being played can only be enabled on phone or tablet. In order to do so, just follow these steps:

1. Head to the “Artist” page of the performer you no longer wish to listen to.
  2. Tap the three dots in the upper-right corner.
  3. Tap the “Don't play this artist” option from the dropdown menu.

Afterwards, songs by this artist will no longer be playable on your device and any tracks by the artist included in a playlist will automatically be skipped.

Just a heads-up, this setting is not carried over on other devices and is not available on desktop devices. 

Hope you'll find this info useful.

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

27 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @dementir, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Currently the option to block an artist from being played can only be enabled on phone or tablet. In order to do so, just follow these steps:

1. Head to the “Artist” page of the performer you no longer wish to listen to.
  2. Tap the three dots in the upper-right corner.
  3. Tap the “Don't play this artist” option from the dropdown menu.

Afterwards, songs by this artist will no longer be playable on your device and any tracks by the artist included in a playlist will automatically be skipped.

Just a heads-up, this setting is not carried over on other devices and is not available on desktop devices. 

Hope you'll find this info useful.

Billy-JSpotify Star
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

This is not a solution.

Yep - this forum is really worthless

Spotify, please add this feature on the Mac OS app!

this doesn't work for me. I don't have that option available. I'm trying to block artists that are known racists and **bleep** offenders

This is so f-ing stupid!

Yet another one of Spotifys unuserfriendly changes no one in the entire world has asked for.

They keep making the corridor for what you are "allowed" to listen to narrower and narrower. First it was the complete molesting of local files and then all these small changes over time where you before had an easy way to navigate and let the AI know what you wanted to hear and and not.

Big money and big companies behind**bleep**, they just want us to listen to what they serve cause they know we are to lazy to navigate through menus and pages to block it and the song has probably ended before we get to it.

Spotify is faster than expected becoming a really shitty service not valuing their paying costumers.

exactly, I don't want to block the artist, just one obnoxious song they stick on to all my recommendations, it's sooo bleeping annoying. 

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your honest feedback, we've passed it along to the developer team. 

We're jumping in the thread to add some extra info to what @Billy-J suggested. You also have the option the choose Hide this song from the context menu (the three dots) next to a song on mobile devices. Keep in mind that this feature is applied only to that specific playlist and device. It might come up again in another Daily Mix or the next time you generate a radio, as these count as new playlists.

If you'd like the option to block a certain song or artist account-wide, we'd recommend you take a look in our Idea Exchange and see if someone has already submitted an idea for this feature to be added  and if not post your own.

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Is that why I’m in a musical ground hog day?! Spotify has narrowed my choices. What a lot of **bleep**. I’ve been a paying customer for a decade, might jump over to a different streaming service to see if it serves a wider output of music. My Spotify experience is becoming really dull. 

^ this

And exactly how did you come up with that it would be a great idea to make this a per device thing? If I choose to never wanting to hear a song/artist again while listening on my phone, why on earth do you think I want to hear it on my PC, tablet or other phone?

I've noticed difficulties switching listening between devices lately, the seamless experience is completely gone, so guess this has something to do with it.

This is soooo the wrong way to go, more integration and seamless usage is the way to go, not the other way around.

Why not make playlists per device when you're at it to ruin the multi device usability completely?

NO. This is not a solution. It ignores desktop users, which is literally the only way I listen to spotify. Let us block artists and songs EVERYWHERE.

Spotify,

The ability to block a song account wide should not be an 'idea' we have to submit and beg for, it should be a given.

The fact we can't do that looks like a money-saving decision, as you will not have to store everyone's preferences on your servers. This is disrespectful to your customers.

Not being able to block a song on desktop, even just for that one device, is lazy and disrespectful.

The fact that blocking a song on mobile only blocks it for that radio is terrible design and disrespectful.

The fact the block symbol is only sometimes  available on mobile (for daily mix, but not for artist radio for example) is either bad programming, a poor technical decision, or some kind of marketing/business decision. Whatever the reason, it's annoying and, again, disrespectful.

There's only so much disrespect customers will tolerate until they leave.

Oh, also, marking the OP as 'solved' when it obviously isn't is disgusting.

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your posts and feedback.

We're always testing things by adding or removing features to make Spotify better overall. We’re sorry that this means you’re not able to use Spotify like you wish to do at the moment.

You can read more about how your feedback reach Spotify here.

Once again - thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. 

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Funny how you pay for a music service because you want complete control of the content presented to you, and you do not have complete control of the music you listen to. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF AN ALTERNATIVE STREAMING MUSIC SERVICE WHERE YOU CAN BLOCK SONGS/ARTISTS ON ALL ITS PLATFORMS?? READ "DESKTOP"

On Pandora if you thumbs down a song on a station you will definitely not hear it again on that station. The cheaper option is still just radio, but their algorithm is honestly so much better than daily mixes that are prepackaged to hundreds of people with popular garbage that's biased towards your cached songs they eat up your storage for that I'm pretty confident I'm not switching back. 

@Kayakr01 wrote:
DOES ANYONE KNOW OF AN ALTERNATIVE STREAMING MUSIC SERVICE WHERE YOU CAN BLOCK SONGS/ARTISTS ON ALL ITS PLATFORMS?? READ "DESKTOP"

Block Content – TIDAL

Screenshots from my desktop app: 

tidal-block-1.png

tidal-block-2.png

I'm evaluating Tidal along with Amazon Music and Deezer and I'm 95% sure that I will be leaving Spotify for Tidal. 

Edit: Note that I have NOT used the block function and am not sure exactly how it functions. Such as whether or not the Artist/Song is blocked in all contexts and on all your devices.

Edit 2: Tested it and when I block a song on desktop/web they disappear from mixes on both desktop and Android mobile. Blocking an artist, strangely, matching songs only disappeared from the mix on mobile. Might be that I would just have needed to wait a little for it to happen on desktop to. Or it could be a bug. Not sure. 

@kristustf wrote:
This is not a solution.

That's because:

The moderators mark their own "solutions" as solutions whether or not the poster wants them to. This is why so many posts here are "Solved" even though the "Solution" solves nothing. 

From: The abysmal state of this forum and Spotify's bug Management

Can you do this on paid Pandora, where you specifically play exactly what you want?

Suggested posts