Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to unlink track with the new Spotify update?

How to unlink track with the new Spotify update?

How to unlink track in Spotify now?  so I can listen to the Spotify version instead the Local File version?

I want to use the Spotify version for one playlist and Local File for another playlist, so don't tell me to delete the local file!

Did they took it out? ?????

20 Replies

This feature is not in the new version.
Spotify plans to bring some features back, but it is currently not known if the feature you mentioned will be coming back.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

The removal of this feature combined with the removal of "Search Local Files" has created a nightmare situation for me.  There is a particular album by a band I love, so I also have local mp3s of live and acoustic versions of the songs.  When I play that album through the Spotify album page the linked tracks are all wrong as it matches to the live and acoustic versions.

In the past there were two reasonably good solutions provided for this:

1. I could unlink the local files to be sure that I was playing the official album version (from Spotify's servers)
  2. I have the whole album on my computer, so I could just search my local files and play it from there

Right now the best workaround I can figure out is to go into the "Local Files" tab, sort by artist or album, and scroll through 30k songs until I find the album I want.  There has to be a better way.

And this is all assuming that I have the proper files stored locally.  What happens when I have an EP from an artist stored locally, and then they put out an album with new versions of those songs?  I do not see any way that I would be able to stream the new version from Spotify once it is improperly matched to a local file.  That's a serious problem.

I agree. Not being able to search my local files AND having all my tags overwritten by Spotify is hugely annoying, and there's no real good reason for the removal of this feature. I really hope it gets put back in soon.

Here is yet another thread that we need to vote yet again to bring back old important features AGAIN.

If you like using the "Your Music" feature have in mind that you are LIMITED to 10 000 tracks. If you want this to be fixed vote for this post

It's already coming to July 2016. Still no news to bring it back. So sad 😞

It is July 2016 right now and my friends and I need this feature!

It is a blocker, meaning friends will not switch to spotify, because this is missing!

Why can't I just unlink/delete my local files to see, which ones were not able to be linked and only substitute these with my local ones?! You HAD this feature already guys... bring it back please!

This is absolutely ridiculous. We need the ability to unlink tracks. I am so sick of some of my Tool tracks linking to "The Tool" with no option to correct the issue.

This completely screwed up a local album for me. Track name, artist, album art changed for the first track. Why take away a feature that was designed a solve a problem and have no alternative??

Screen Shot 2016-08-25 at 12.11.17 PM.png

It's 2017 and the issue still persists. I'm half way through my trial and was pretty happy, before I encountered this. For me it's a song where I have the perfectly fine album version locally, but Spotify insists on playing (and downloading to my mobile) a very crappy live version.

This is a bug that makes it really difficult to use this with my offline musik. I don't get why this was marked "Not Right Now" - It breaks the idea of having all of my music in one spot ...which I thought is the idea behind Spotify.

This is so bad that it is for me a single reason to leave Spotify. I left Apple Music although I have an iPhone and use a Mac, just becuase my music is too important for me to be dependent on a single platform. This however is a killer!!!!! Apple allows you to bring you own music and i don't understand why Spotify refuses. 

I've also had this issue where Spotify will completely rename the track to have different artists, a different name for the track, and it's becoming tiring.

Take this for example:

So the track is named "Two" and is by the artist Twenty One Pilots,

instead the track is linked and the name and artist is changed to something WAY different.

UghSpotify.png

Dammit I'm struggling with the same thing!

This is ridiculous! C'mon Spotify 

Bring back "Unlink Track."  You're ruining my playlists.  I'm paying you so I can use this service without being sold things, and yes, that includes versions of songs that I simply don't want to hear.  I know what I want to listen to, and it's often the local tracks THAT I CHOOSE TO LISTEN TO.  Be better than the competition, you guys.  You're failing more and more with every update.

C'mon Spotify. I didn't have this problem until now, since I lost all my local files before the new update and decided to use the official files as much as i can. But i recently purchased the record of the first Metallica show I've ever been, and guess what? I can't heat specific songs because the program matches some songs with the studio version! Bring back the feature, I don't even understand why you removed it in the first place?

I'm tired of this. I try to link some local songs to my phone that I have from concerts and Spotify keeps linking them to the wrong studio albums and I can't find a way to sync them. They need to adress this ASAP. I want to use Spotify as my only music app and with this mistake I need to use at least two apps on my phone.

Try rename your songs to something else.

Please for the love of god bring this back!!!! I went from Spotify to Google Play Music to Apple Music back to Google Play Music back to Apple Music and finally back to Spotify. I just love Spotify. But I'd also like to be able to listen to my Christina Aguilera Back To Basics Live Down Under album on my phone, which I cannot do because the mobile app just says "oh this is in the spotify library so I won't bother fetching the local file".

The reason I originally switched to Google Play Music was for the ability to upload music and listen to it anywhere without having to do all this whacky syncing. Now that I've come back to Spotify, you've actually taken a step backwards with removing the link/unlink functionality. If you're not going to let us upload music to your servers, then you NEED some way to allow us to listen to our own music that isn't in your catalogue.

Love bites is now the Lullaby version...

10996a910af8de6023d374e6a5aa7ea9.png

Suggested posts