Student

Country

US

Device

Web browser and Windows desktop app

Operating System

Windows

My Question or Issue

Hello every time I click play it doesn't work, then it says we can't play this video. However i am able to play joe rogan experience in my  iphone.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey folks,

Thanks for getting in touch with us 🙂

VPNs aren't supported and we can't guarantee proper functionality if one is used.

If you don't use a VPN and are still experiencing this issue after you've tried the suggested steps we'd recommend reaching out to our support team here. That way the exact details of your case can be logged. 

We've also made sure to submit a general report to the right team.

If you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us. We'll be happy to help.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

24 Replies

Hi there @svanheme,

Welcome to the Community!

Apologies for the delayed reply, we've just come across this thread.

If you're still having this issue, we recommend running a clean reinstall of the app. This involves deleting the app cache, which can cause issues when corrupted. Follow the exact instructions in this guide here.

Let us know if that makes a difference.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

AlexModerator

Same issue here. Instructions followed from link in the response here, cache cleared, reinstall; everything works fine EXCEPT for the Joe Rogan Experience podcast, which doesn't play at all. Every other podcast, music, etc. works fine. 2nd time addressing this.  

The web player does not work either. When attempting to play an episode of JRE, the web player doesn't play, and in the lower left hand corner where the description of the selection is, it just starts scrolling through all the episodes as if it's searching for something.

Hi there @fors82zy,

Since this is an issue that's only present on your Desktop device, you can try deleting any host file entries which contain Spotify in them.

Do this:

1. open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
2. go to File - Open and navigate to

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open.
4. The file is opened. You will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like

0.0.0.0 website.com 127.0.0.1 website2.com

Check for any entries with spotify or fastly in the address. Examples may look like:

0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com 0.0.0.0 prod.b.ssl.us-eu.fastlylb.net

(and any variations inbetween)
5. If you do find any, you can delete the line. You can also add a # in front of the line, that's 'commenting out'.
6. Save your changes. Restart Spotify.

It's also worth restarting your router or creating a mobile hotspot from your phone and connect to that in order to check if this issue is connected to your network.

Let us know how you get on with this.

AlexModerator

Opening Notepad as an administrator and going to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc shows no folders whatsoever.

Hi again @fors82zy, and thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, did you select All Files next to the File Name box? Also, let us know if you restarted your router and tried using a different connection.

On another note, if you're using a VPN, try disconnecting it and let us know if the issue persists.

Keep us posted!

After following the path Windows>System32>drivers>etc, there's no "All Files" option. there's a "hosts" option, but opening that up in Notepad, there are no files with Spotify or fastly in the address. There's nothing. There's no lines to modify or delete.

Hey @fors82zy,

Thanks for the update.

Can you try using a different connection like another WiFi network or a hotspot, and let us know if the issue persists? Remember to also restart your router to see if that makes any difference.

Also, let us know if the same happens in the web player while using an incognito/private window in the browser.

We'll be looking out for your reply.

ElenaModerator

Resetting the router - several times now - and using a hotspot does nothing. I'm not sure why these things would be necessary anyhow when every other aspect of the Windows app or the web player works fine. It is only with the Joe Rogan Experience podcast that these issues are occurring. No change. Constant buffering throughout on the app for Windows desktop, and the web player? the minute I click on the newest JRE Podcast, I look down in the lower left hand corner where the description is, and it just automatically starts scrolling through all the episodes rapidly, starting from #1 and going non stop. I have to close out the web player to shut it off. Opening the web player back up again? same thing. Everything I mentioned in my previous posts. Go back and put on ANYTHING ELSE OTHER THAN JRE PODCAST, and everything works fine. You guys obviously don't have things in order to handle the huge incoming amount of traffic wanting to tune in to the JRE Podcast, and I seriously hope you can address this sooner rather than later, as those of us who are Premium customers (some of us onboard since Spotify's inception) deserve to be treated better than this. And this has been being addressed for months now with the idea that things would be in order when JRE Podcast became exclusive to Spotify. Unfortunately, this is still not the case. It's disappointing. 

Hey again @fors82zy,

We're sorry to hear you feel this way. Your thoughts are important for us to continue to improve the app and the overall experience.

We've suggested those steps because we want to get to the root of what's causing this issue with that specific podcast.

To make sure we cover all our bases, are you currently using a VPN? If you are, try disconnecting it and let us know if the issue persists.

In case it does, if possible, could you try on a different computer and let us know if the same happens there? We'd also like to know if it also happens in another account. If possible, can you try logging in to a friend's or relative's account? 

Lastly, we'll ask you to check if your sound drivers are up to date and that your firewall is not blocking Spotify.

We'll also need to know your exact Spotify version to investigate further.

Keep us in the loop.

ElenaModerator

Hey, I'd also like to know if there is a solution for this? I am having the same issue and it's specifically with the JRE podcast as everything else works fine. I funnily enough done a clean install of windows today and redownloaded spotifys latest verison, but still have the same issue with this podcast.

**EDIT** I turned off my VPN and it played without issue.

Why does Spotify not allow VPN usage for the JRE podcast?

This seems like a significant bug that needs to be fixed.

I'm running Spotify version 1.1.46.916.g416cacf1 (Microsoft Store version).

My sound drivers are up to date.

I have brought my laptop to a friend's house with the exact same ISP and wireless connection, even plugging directly into both this router and my own via Ethernet.

I am not using a VPN, and neither is he.  We used his PC and the most recent version of Spotify at his residence and at mine, again, same connection.

I have tried it on my work computer. All to no avail.

All of the above have yielded the same result. JRE Podcast still does nothing but buffer constantly in the Windows 10 app for PC. Also, the web player is still behaving the same way I described in my last post. It doesn't play the JRE Podcast episode I select at all; rather, it just starts scrolling through all of them as if it's automatically searching for something. I then have to close out the browser and reopen it to try again, with the exact same result. 

Please remember, as I've stated before, that EVERY OTHER ASPECT OF SPOTIFY FOR BOTH THE WINDOWS 10 APP AND WEB PLAYER works just fine. It is ONLY with the JRE Podcast that these issues arise. 

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your replies and confirmation. We're sorry that you experience this.

Can you try to log in with another account - such as a friend's or a family member's to see if the issue persist?

We'll keep an eye out for your replies.

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Logging in via a friend's account does nothing to change the issue. I also just did a complete clean reinstall of the app on my system - yet again - and this morning the Joe Rogan Experience podcast has gone from buffering every two seconds (not exaggerating here) to doing absolutely nothing. It's just frozen there. When I go to music? Or any other podcast I listen to? Works perfectly fine. No buffering, no issues.

I took a pre-emptive approach addressing these issues months ago, anticipating ongoing issues when Joe Rogan became exclusive to Spotify this month, and to my dismay, I was correct about that anticipation. You folks really need to fix this issue. It's beyond frustrating and more than a little insulting, particularly to those of us who are Premium subscribers and are essentially paying for a service that is not being provided. 

Hey Spotify,

Are you going to fix this? It seems like everyone is acknowledging the same problem and there is no plan for a fix mentioned. The bootleggers on YouTube are doing a better job at hosting the JRE podcast - time to step it up, Spotify!

Any update on this issue regarding VPN usage blocking access to the JRE podcast?

It's now been a month since the Joe Rogan Experience podcast has become exclusive to Spotify, and still I have not been able to listen to one episode, either on the Windows 10 app or the web player. You guys need to fix this. This is unacceptable.

Update: It has now been two months since JRE launched on Spotify and still I have not been able to listen to one episode. What are you doing to fix this?!

Marked as solution

Hey folks,

Thanks for getting in touch with us 🙂

VPNs aren't supported and we can't guarantee proper functionality if one is used.

If you don't use a VPN and are still experiencing this issue after you've tried the suggested steps we'd recommend reaching out to our support team here. That way the exact details of your case can be logged. 

We've also made sure to submit a general report to the right team.

If you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us. We'll be happy to help.

Ver Moderator

I am experiencing the same issue.  VPN works across Spotify, all content works perfectly fine except for the JRE Podcast.  You guys are the only ones who have his show now, telling us we can't use a VPN is completely unacceptable.  I'm not going to turn off my VPN every time I want to listen to JRE that's completely ridiculous.  Also, JRE is sponsored by a VPN.  For a $100 million deal you guys should be able to work this out.

Suggested posts