Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Local Files do not lock / sync with corresponding Spotify files

Local Files do not lock / sync with corresponding Spotify files

Not all of my Local Files are syncing / locking to the corresponding Spotify file.

I fully understand the process required to add local files, and I've successfully added 1000+ local MP3s to Spotify synced / locked them to the corresponding Spotify file through mid 2018. This post is about trying to add 5 more files this week.

Ultimately, the issue is:

Synced local files are working fine on my Desktop AND Phone in some cases, but in other cases they are ONLY working on my Desktop. Below, I describe all of this in detail.

I will illustrate this successful use case:

JAY Z - Black Album (2003) is not licensed for use on Spotify. However, I own this album, and I have imported the files locally by placing them in the correct directory and pointing Spotify to this in Preferences. 

Although Spotify does not have a license for this record, it does have its files here:

https://open.spotify.com/track/2D4JZUIZVJVzZz9gpYaiO9?si=-RscGUBgSO-oWFz99IcpkQ

These files are obviously not playable, but, since I own the album, I added the corresponding MP3s locally. Therefore, when I personally click the link above, I can play these files without any issue on my Windows 10 Desktop App (latest version).

I can even play this album without issue on my iOS Spotify App (latest version). To do so, I made sure to drag the 14 local songs from "Local Files" (underneath "Stations" and above "Videos") and place them in a playlist that I've set as "Download". These files are now saved on my phone, and I can access them successfully through that playlist OR through the link above. These files are synced / locked together. I can even right click the file in the playlist (and in "Local Files"), and navigate directly to the album. This further establishes the sync / lock is working.

This is a successful use case.

I will now describe the unsuccessful use case:

The Movielife - The Movielife Has a Gambling Problem (2010) is not licensed for use on Spotify. However, like the JAY Z album, I own these files and imported them into Spotify. Also, like the JAY Z album, Spotify still has an entry for this album:

https://open.spotify.com/album/5rg3J5AseVT1zhkpioImY3?si=nfzytVoTR0yDVCiYL0yryg

Now, on my Desktop, I am able to play that album at that URL. This is expected, because I have imported the files. If I had not imported the files, these songs would not play. This clearly means the files I imported are being recognized by Spotify and working.

However, I am unable to play the album at that URL on my phone; the files are not synced / locked. I have followed the exact same steps as I did with JAY Z (successful use case), but this is not working in this scenario. All song titles, album name, and artist metadata is 100% aligned to what is in Spotify -- this is what allowed me to play this album on my Desktop.

Ultimately, the issue is:

Synced local files are working fine on my Desktop AND Phone in some cases, but in other cases they are ONLY working on my Desktop. Above, I describe all of this in detail.

I will also share that despite the Movielife album playing fine on my Desktop at the URL provided, I am not able to right click and navigate to it via the saved playlist on my Desktop like I am able to with the JAY Z album. This is likely tied to why it is not working on my Phone, but if the sync was severed, then I shouldn't be able to play the file at all through the URL on my Desktop - but I can.

I have tried removing these files and re-adding them, including modifying the metadata, and starting/re-starting Spotify at different stages, but with no luck.

If the JAY Z files sync and play without issue, then the Movielife files should also sync and play without issue. As it stands, however, the Movielife files only partially sync and play.

Please help!

0 Replies

Suggested posts