Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Local files from pc won't sync to iPhone

Solved!

Local files from pc won't sync to iPhone

Hi, I'm having trouble getting local files from my PC to sync to my iPhone. I made sure all the files are mp3, turned on local files on both devices, made sure unplayable songs were not hidden, connected both devices to the same hotspot, and tried to make a playlist with the songs accessible offline on both devices. These songs are playable on my PC but show up grayed out and unplayable on my iPhone. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I actually found a solution to this just now and my local files can sync from PC to iPhone. In addition to the steps I listed in my original post, you have to go to Settings>Audio Quality>Turn on "Download Using Cellular". Doing those steps let me upload downloaded mp3 files to Spotify on my PC and then sync them to a playlist on my iPhone. Thanks for looking into it tho!

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Hi @jackeast

I believe Local Files do not sync across Spotify. You will have to have any local files saved to both devices for them to be available on Spotify.

Please read this article for more information.

If my answer was useful, don't forget to give it a 'Like!'

If my answer was the solution, don't forget to mark it as the solution!

Thanks! 😇

If you need anything else, please reply and ask,
or shoot me a
Private Message!

Feel free to follow my Spotify or Community profiles! 

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Spotify.

Hi  @kaworu_bloodpaw 

Thanks for the help. Has this always been the case or is this a change Spotify has made recently? I know I have been able to sync local files in the past.

I've never actually used local files, but I've found some posts confirming my suspicions.

It appears this feature was removed at some point in 2022.

This post in the Idea Exchange is asking it to be re-added. I'd recommend adding your vote if you would like this feature back.

This FAQ says "You can then add them to playlists and enjoy them locally on the device they're stored on," and this one explains how to copy your local files to your device.

If my answer was useful, don't forget to give it a 'Like!'

If my answer was the solution, don't forget to mark it as the solution!

Thanks! 😇

If you need anything else, please reply and ask,
or shoot me a Private Message!

Feel free to follow my Spotify or Community profiles! 

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Spotify.

Marked as solution

I actually found a solution to this just now and my local files can sync from PC to iPhone. In addition to the steps I listed in my original post, you have to go to Settings>Audio Quality>Turn on "Download Using Cellular". Doing those steps let me upload downloaded mp3 files to Spotify on my PC and then sync them to a playlist on my iPhone. Thanks for looking into it tho!

I managed to get my PC's local files to show up and become downloadable on my iPhone by doing the following:

1. Connect your iPhone to PC with the charging cable (if you get a prompt on your phone to share data, just say yes).

2. On your PC, go to Network and internet > find your connected network's properties > change network profile type from public to private. (Once the local files on your phone have been synced you can change it back to public).

3. Add any local files you want in any playlist into a new playlist. 

4. Go to that new playlist on your iPhone and add it to your downloads (making sure the app is showing local files in the settings).

5. Any local files in that playlist will now be available offline on your phone. You can then add these to any playlist since the default Local Files playlist doesn't let you add tracks to different playlists.

in your help screen on the iOS app it says that for me to listen to a playlist that I have created on my PC from local files I have to "3. make the playlist containing this song for Offline Synch on your computer or on this iPhone"
However this option is not available on the PC application nor on the iOS app.

Suggested posts