Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Local files in a Public playlist not available to others

Local files in a Public playlist not available to others

As a FREE member I realize I can not play my playlists on a mobile device, this does not pertain to me.  

What I want to do is be able to make my public playlists that contain local files playable to my friends.  Doesn't Spotify work with some service like Rdio that reads and analyses my local files (Artist, Title, Album etc) when I import them and link it to the Spotify database?  (My friend would not be playing MY local file, but would be playing Spotify's version of the file - if available)

I have years of playlists I compiled in itunes and would like to share the playlist. The songs are there in Spotify.... doesnt it link up and play the Spotify version when others listen?  I realize some songs might not be on Spotify.

Please help, I'd rather not manually build a duplicate Spotify playlist from scratch.

8 Replies

Hi, and welcome to the community!

yes, Spotify does link the songs if it can find a match so others can play them. Make sure the metadata is correct, and check to see if there actually is a song to link to on Spotify, as there may well not be.

Anthony  🙂

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

Anthony,

Spotify does this even for Free members, right?

Many thanks!

@phillycheese415 wrote:

Anthony,

Spotify does this even for Free members, right?

Many thanks!

Hi,

Yes it should do!

Anthony 🙂

If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!

OK, I got it to work.... sort of.

I notice it works fine for public playlists that I create WITHIN spotify.  If I import my iTunes playlist and make it public, ALL the songs are gray and unavailable to followers.  

A work-around would be to create a new playlist in Spotify and drag all the songs from a iTunes playlist into it.  So, essentially I would have two identical playlists on my end.  If I make them both public, my followers are able to play the new playlist but not the original (identical) iTunes playlist.  Seems to be a bug, I dunno.  Inconvenient. 

@phillycheese415 wrote:

OK, I got it to work.... sort of.

I notice it works fine for public playlists that I create WITHIN spotify.  If I import my iTunes playlist and make it public, ALL the songs are gray and unavailable to followers.  

A work-around would be to create a new playlist in Spotify and drag all the songs from a iTunes playlist into it.  So, essentially I would have two identical playlists on my end.  If I make them both public, my followers are able to play the new playlist but not the original (identical) iTunes playlist.  Seems to be a bug, I dunno.  Inconvenient. 

Hi,

How very strange! I'll escalate this as an issue to the staff to see if they can look into it.

Anthony 🙂

It looks like this could be related to another issue with local files linking here: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-iOS-iPhone-iPad-iPod-Touch/Imported-Itunes-playlist-won-t-play-...

It's under investigation!

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

Hi so I just had a quick question about if I decide to cancel my subscription to spotify do i lose the playlists that I built up on the account?

You keep your playlists but lose access to any downloaded spotify content.

Suggested posts