Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Memory usage, performance problems and UI refreshes, result of memory leak?

Memory usage, performance problems and UI refreshes, result of memory leak?

Plan

Premium

Country

Belgium

Device

Ryzen 5 5600X

16GB RAM

GTX 1070

Hardware Acceleration enabled

Operating System

Windows 10 Build 19042.1348

My Question or Issue

Ever since switching over to React for the desktop UI, I've noticed that when in normal use (going through albums, playing songs etc.) memory usage gradually rises, usually followed by a UI refresh after a certain time if usage reaches high enough levels.

To be clear, this isn't a crash, perhaps it's related to this issue on SO. (Because there seem to be a lot of timers running in the profiler), probably isn't because I'm not an insider, nor expert in this field.

I'd attach memory profiling results / performance profiler results but they save as empty files for some reason. That and the fact that the UI refreshes also refresh the devtools, stopping any profiling and making it impossible to save any results. I instead added a screenshot of profiling results in the attachments.

These refreshes don't happen on my Pop!_OS installation.

Was wondering if this issue is reproducable or already known.

Screenshot 2021-12-02 134508.png
3 Replies

Hey @Mustachio!

Thanks for reaching out on the our forum about this.

We haven't had any reports about this from our end, but you can check out the React JS community to see if someone would be able to help on there. 

Hope it goes well!

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I'm experiencing the same issue on my System as well. Happens reproducibly after clicking through a couple of dozens of playlists.

Plan

Premium

Country

Germany

Device

Ryzen 5 3600X

32GB RAM

GTX 1070 (NVIDIA 497.09)

Hardware Acceleration enabled

Operating System

Windows 11 Pro
Version 21H2
OS build 22000.376

Spotify is installed via the Windows Store (Spotify for Windows 1.1.74.631.g0b24d9ad).

Memory usage rises gradually until the 1.6GB mark, after which the UI becomes *super* unresponsive. Eventually, the web frame reloads.

2022-01-01_14-23-36-Task_Manager.png

Haven't tested this using the Linux client as did Mustachio did, yet. Doesn't the Linux client ship with a 64-bit binary, though? In this case the memory leak may still be present, although the refreshes don't occur as 64-bit applications aren't nearly as constrained as 32-bit applications when it comes to memory allocation.

Other threads on the Spotify community forum that (potentially) relate to this issue:

Hey @user-removed,

Thanks for the detailed information you've provided.

Since Windows 11 is quite new, the performance of the Spotify app relies heavily on your hardware configuration and driver development. Our team is working on optimizing the app's performance on the new OS. We've passed the info you've provided on to the right teams at Spotify.

Spotify doesn't officially support Linux, so we can't guarantee that it will work as expected on Linux powered systems.

Hope you find this helpful. Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts