Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

No VPN support: Why?

No VPN support: Why?

Hi,

Is well known that Spotify doesn't work well with VPN's. I think is time to put some questions in place: why?

Here in this support website exist many topics about users with problems using Spotify with a VPN, but the official answer is always the same: "Disable", "We don't support", etc...

In short, the only answer from Spotify support is forcing the users to disable they VPN just because "we say so".

VPN is a must for anyone that enjoy her privacy. In fact, on the current days, is a MUST for eveyone! This is not a opinion, is a FACT for the current "web generation".

This also lead to some privacy questions from the service: why spotify doesn't want me to use a VPN?

Sure, could be some technical question, but where? There are many other streaming services that do exactly the same thing as spotify and they allow VPNs...

And why the only "official" answer is always "dont use a vpn with us"?

Hope to get some insights from the support team or any user that could explain a little more this.

Thanks! 🙂

6 Replies

Hi there,

What exact issues are you facing when you have the VPN enabled?

For your info - I also use a VPN and have not run into any issues that are Spotify related.

Grts,

^R

Hi there,

What is your VPN provider?

This is not a isolated problem, and by far is a problem only with me. This is something that have been acknoledge multiple times by the Spotify support...

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Spotify-with-VPN-not-working/m-p/4410259/highlight/true#M12...

Spotify simply doesn't officially support VPNs. They "could" work, but is not something supported by the service itself. 

And btw, the VPN is located in a country where Spotify is avaiable and Spotify is also avaiable in my main country (Portugal)

With the VPN enable, the app cannot connect to the Spotify servers. appears as offline and only the downloaded music is playable (for those with premium).

I used NordVPN to check and spotify on my PC works just fine(I also checked my IP just to make sure).

Spotify doesn't really need to add special support for VPNs :|, VPNs usually work fine in Spotify.

If your internet still works with a VPN, the problem might be a firewall or your VPN.

Try to use another VPN or another computer.(I do not guarantee that it will fix the problem)

Any recommendations for the best free VPN? Windows please!

Don't use free VPN services.

If you aren't paing for a product, you are the product.

But backing up to the topic, some VPN services could work, thats right. Spotify says that doesn't support officialy VPNs, so that means that some of them could indeed work.

But, for those that have a VPN service that doesn't work, the question remains. And i use Private Internet Access, Tunnelbear and Dashlane VPN. None of them work with spotify and doesn't appears to be a configurationj problem. Is the Spotify itself that doesn't allow/support VPNs.

Thanks

Hey buddy,

I use Private Internet Access both in the office and at home. Evidently got Spotify on now, no issues whatsoever. I believe all my settings (VPN) are on the standard.

Does the web player work when the VPN is connected?

Are both the VPN application and the Spotify application allowing incoming connections in your firewall?

Also, you could try manually setting the DNS server in your network settings to the public Google DNS server such as 8.8.8.8 - it seems this has been announced as 'working'.

Grts,

^R

Suggested posts