NEXT STEP

No more "sort by durration/length"?

No more "sort by durration/length"?

Plan Premium

Country USA

Device iPhone/PC

Operating System Windows 10

My Question or Issue

It seems I can no longer click the clock to filter songs by length/durration. Is this a bug or was the feature removed? If it was removed, then WHY?

15 Replies

Hey @Ethomps4 

I can still sort by duration. Maybe your client has some issues which a reinstall could help erase. 🙂
See this guide on how to perform a clean reinstall!

Let me know how that goes 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

thank you for the suggestion. I followed all the steps to do a clean uninstall/install and that still did not fix the issue.. The icon above the song length is still disabled. Any other suggestions?

I think it's because of the number of tracks in the playlist. In a playlist with a fewer songs I can sort by time but my Liked Songs. But why? How does it differ from other sortable fields?

Hey there folks!

Thanks for reporting this to us.

We've let our developers know about this and they're investigating.

Your feedback on this is highly appreciated as it helps inform our decisions going forward, but just as a heads up, we’re not able to confirm if or when this would be resolved.

As a workaround for the moment we can suggest creating a new playlist from your Liked songs and sorting that one by length.

We'd also recommend keeping your Spotify app up-to-date to guarantee you get the latest features and fixes. 

Hope this info helps. Give us a shout if you have any further questions.

ElenaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I can't even sort length of songs from a playlist? How do I do this?

I'm just going to put this back on the top there because I feel like this is a topic with importance (to me at least). I always have to emphasize to companies like Spotify that what isn't broken don't fix.

Anyways back to the relevancy of my reply.

This "solution" I have isn't practical by little-to-no means, but if you're desperate to find that song that's like 9 minutes long and is one of the only ones in your library with 10,000 songs you saved, you'll have to start first by going to the web player first instead.

Click on the Liked Songs tab, then click the scroll bar once on the right that lets you scroll through your songs - this way when you're scrolling using your keyboard, you're not scrolling through your playlists accidentally.

Next, hold the 'End' button on your keyboard (this is the fastest way to scroll through 'load more' styled pages websites are adapted to using today for some darn reason). Eventually this will lag the heck out of your browser, so this may or may not work for everyone. I personally use the latest version of Chrome on a good-specced rig of mine. (You don't have to continuously keep scrolling to the very beginning when you started using Spotify as long as you remember the approximate date you actually saved that song.)

Eventually when you decide to stop, press Ctrl + F, you'll be displayed with a 'find in page' tool which on Chrome works almost instantaneously. Search for a timestamp such as "9:".

I personally listen to a lot of extended mixes so it tells me there are 55 results where I decided to stop. I last remembered this 9 minute song was saved back in my old days of Spotify, so it ended up being the 41st result. Instead of pressing down to go to the second result, I pressed up to go from the 55th result descending until I listened to each song and found what I was looking for. See attached snapshot of a visual way of my doing.

found it.PNG

Hey,

Is there any progress about this issue?

Workaround that you suggested is also not working anymore since you are not able to select all songs in Liked Songs.
I think it's that ’lazy loading’ thing. Users now only see the songs in the offset they have scrolled in.
So pressing ’CMD + A’ selects songs that are in current offset.

Now the only way to achieve that is to select the last song at the top of the list, scroll down slightly(when you scroll fast it doesn't count the songs that have never been visible in the screen), and then select first song holding down ’Shift’.

You have selected all songs in Liked Songs if you are lucky.

These are valid only for Liked Songs. No any other playlist with same number of songs has this issue.

Is it has to be so hard?

We sometimes like to sort songs in our amazing collection by their duration.

#DurationMatters

Hey there folks,

Our developers are informed about this issue. 

We appreciate your feedback as it helps inform our decisions going forward, but just as a heads up, we’re not able to confirm if or when this specific request will be resolved. We recommend keeping your Spotify app up-to-date to guarantee you get the latest features and fixes.

You can also check this ongoing issue thread for more info on the matter.

Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have more questions.

AlexModerator

Its a very simple fix that the developers will not undo. The functionality was there before, they took it away. Why? At least Spotify should be able to give me an answer to that. I left and tried Amazon music (they have the "sort by duration" feature enabled) but there were dozens of songs that were unavailable so I came back to Spotify.. for how long? Not sure..

This platform is broken as heck and breaks even more with every update. These mods are utterly useless, and only reply for their paycheck and so they don't get furloughed due to the pandemic. We wouldn't get so many complaints about various small stupid issues like this if Spotify doesn't screw with their software for no reason.

I agree.. these guys are jokers.. I have been in software development for more than 30 yrs. One cardinal rule is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".. People don't like when you take away functionality that they have been using and love!! Especially when you refuse to provide a reason why.. I would be sympathetic to this change if the removal was because of performance issues but NOTHING, no explanation!! Amazon Music is looking better and better every day

It also seems the duration field is no longer exist in Discovered Weekly on latest macOS client. Why? Why would you even remove that?

Why Spotify doesn't publish a CHANGE LOG in every update like in any other service?

Still Unresolved

I want to do a playlist of my songs 4 minutes and 20 seconds and i can't find them easily due to having over 4000 songs. It's been nearly 3 years. Please fix this feature. Also add visible playlist followers and be able to block users.

Hey @cameronmeisels,

Thanks for reaching out about this.

You can sort songs in your playlists by duration in the Desktop app. If you're not seeing the clock icon in the sorting options try zooming out using Ctrl + -.

The ability to block followers has also been implemented. More info can be found here.

Hope this info helps.

AlexModerator

Suggested posts