Pasting song URIs not working

Plan

Premium

Country

Device

Windows computer

Operating System

Windows 10

I am using the desktop Spotify program downloaded from here: https://www.spotify.com/us/download/windows/b/

My Question or Issue

I am trying to remove duplicates from a very large playlist. I have found old tutorials:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Social/Delete-duplicates-from-Spotify-playlist-in-minute-guide/td-p...

but the paste feature is not working.

I have tried pasting the song URL such as:

https://open.spotify.com/track/2lv968At8Z3Z92NsD1sKco

As well as the song URI which I constructed in a spreadsheet such as:

spotify:track:2lv968At8Z3Z92NsD1sKco

Was the paste function removed?

I have heard about dedup but I am not sure I'm comfortable using a program. My tech skills  are not enough to verify it myself.

8 Replies

Hi there @Mctucker,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

Pasting URSs like spotify:track:2lv968At8Z3Z92NsD1sKco should still work in the desktop app. You can try separating the URIs with a single spacebar when you copy them. After that just click in the playlist and Ctrl+V.

If that's not working try a smaller amount of tracks.

We'd also recommend running a clean reinstall of the app, following the device specific steps from this Guide exactly.

Let us know how you get on with this, and send us some screenshots if you encounter any errors.

Cheers.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

The problem might be related to this:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Format-of-album-links/td-p/5092259

One of many many useful features that were needlessly removed in that recent horrible "update": You cannot export ("share") song or album links in the format "spotify:album:..." any more, just the links to the web player. So annoying.

Thanks, I'll try this when I get home. Someone else suggested that the feature might have been removed. Do you have any knowledge of that?

@tomriddle
That sucks if it's true. I don't know why they would remove features like this. It makes it harder to use in the end and wastes a lot of time.

So I tried it on a different computer and copying and pasting a URI into a playlist successfully added the song.

BUT, I'm trying to add many songs at once, I am going to give up on the playlist if I have to copy and paste all 600+ songs.

Any advice there?

@Mctucker
It's true, you can only paste one single song link at a time.
This is one of the many many many good or useful things that they just eliminated in that recent horrible upgrade. Just because they can, only to make us angry.

@tomriddle,
That's a real shame. Instead I used the website spotify-dedup. I have chosen to "trust" it because I read on the Spotify for Developers page that programs that require a log-in must be registered by Spotify and that gives me some confidence.

Seems like the functionality is still there and is easily implemented but they decided to remove it for some reason. Really a shame.

Hey @Mctucker and @tomriddle,

Thanks for your posts.

We appreciate your honest feedback and will make sure that it reaches the relevant teams. We always strive to improve, so you can be sure that your voices will be heard.

We've recently rolled out a new version of the desktop client for some of the user accounts. We're trying some new things out and that's the reason why there may be a difference in the features available. There is a thread in the Community, where you can share your thoughts and give feedback on how you feel about the new design. Check it out here.

@Mctucker we recommend that you post an idea on our Board that requests the feature to remove duplicates from within the playlist. This guide explains how to do this.  The Idea Exchange is a great way for us to see what improvements our users would like to see and how many people support a specific idea. You can learn more about it here.

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts