Premium

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows

Application Version

1.1.19.480.g7d17e3ce

My Question or Issue

A playlist's default play order is the order in which songs were added to it. Currently we only have two options when it comes to re-ordering the playlist:

1) manual click and drag (long and tedious for long playlists)

2) shuffle play (random)

Suppose I would like to quickly re-order the playlist in some ordered fashion, not just by shuffling. I am not asking for much development effort - I could use one of our sorting options: title, artist, album, time added, or even length. Would it be terrible if playlist play order in Play Queue followed the way it was sorted in the playlist window at a touch of a button/toggle/checkbox? Name the button something like "Apply sorting to Play Queue".

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution!

Re: Playlist play order

Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16

@emberins 

That's not unexpected... But it should change when you stop playback and hit play again on any song of the sorted playlist (rather than clicking play on the playlist itself).

Let me know how you get on :)

SebastyRock Star 16
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

20 Replies

Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16

Hey @emberins 

You can reorder playlists by clicking on the column names too. Then, when you hit play, the songs will be played (and appearing in the Next Up queue) in that sorted order.

Or did you want to apply sorting to the Next In Queue?

Looking forward to your asnwer. :)

SebastyRock Star 16

emberins
Music Fan

@Sebasty, as far as I can tell, sorting by columns in the playlist window does nothing to the play order. It does order the playlist screen, but not the Play Queue, even if I pause and resume playing.

Solution!

Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16

@emberins 

That's not unexpected... But it should change when you stop playback and hit play again on any song of the sorted playlist (rather than clicking play on the playlist itself).

Let me know how you get on :)

SebastyRock Star 16

View solution in original post

emberins
Music Fan

@Sebasty, that is a very good point! Clicking play on songs within the re-ordered playlist as oppose to play/pause on the playlist itself does actually affect playback order. But it is still buggy and is clearly still messing up the order 50% of the time :) (for example, see the attached gif)

How on earth can Spotify get this wrong??!?

spotify_playlist_bug.gif

Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16

@emberins 

I tried that on my end too and I am also confused. : )

Could you try reinstalling the app (follow these steps for clean reinstall)?

Let me know how it goes!

SebastyRock Star 16

emberins
Music Fan
I don't think reinstalling the app will help this. I hope Spotify do realise at some point that their playback sorting is out of whack - for now, I guess I can deal with a few songs being out of order.

Cris_2946
Regular
That happens to me too! It was driving me crazy and no, reinstalling doesn't fix it. I notified to the support team and at the end I was so tired to reinstalling that tell them it was fixed...

emberins
Music Fan
@Cris_2946, I wish I knew a way to reach them directly. I was under the impression that this is the only place where such issues are discussed and someone from Spotify may or may not pick stuff up if they feel like it.

Cris_2946
Regular
Try on Twitter, I contacted them from there and they will answer you in a few hours or so, and if you find the solution let me know please!
SUGGESTED POSTS