Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playlists don't sync between PCs or Android

Solved!

Playlists don't sync between PCs or Android

I use spotify on 2 PCs and an Android phone.

A while ago (weeks) I noticed playlists didn't sync between PC and Android, but I guessed from PC to Android might take a while (even though the devices were on the same wifi network).

Lately (days) playlists don't sync between PCs either. I organized my playlists hours ago on one computer and it still hasn't propagated to this computer.

This used to be blazing fast... What do I do when the playlists don't change?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey 🙂 

First things to try out:

- Run a search on both devices, it forces an outgoing connection to Spotify (since mobile devices especially don't connect unless they need to). 

- Try logging out and back in again on both devices. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

It resolved itself. After I posted this, I was seeing strange things in the desktop client, and the web client would not even show my playlists.

I do wish Spotify would post a status when they're having trouble, instead of leaving us guessing. Their Twitter ids did not mention any problems at the time.

I checked Spotify on my Galaxy Note 3 this morning, and saw the playlist I added on the web was there. Both new playlists are on the Mac client, Android tablet app and phone app. 

So the issue is gone today, so that is good.

Thanks!

Fred

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey 🙂 

First things to try out:

- Run a search on both devices, it forces an outgoing connection to Spotify (since mobile devices especially don't connect unless they need to). 

- Try logging out and back in again on both devices. 

Peter

Peter

Restarting the client everywhere worked. Not perfect obviously, but acceptable. It hasn't happened after that, so I'm good. Thanks.

Scratch that. Now it doesn't sync between PC and Android... This used to be instant! (The playlist + songs meta data, not the actual downloading.) What happened =(

And restarting on Android does the trick. Suboptimal.

I think the android client is currently going temporarily offline at times to save bandwidth. 

From one of my friends, they say that to get the sync going, you need to force a connection to Spotify by running a search or loading an artist page you have not opened recently. 

Peter

Peter

When I create a playlist on one PC and want to find it on my other PC on the network, the only way I can achieve this is to go offline then online again.

Why is there either no automatic sync, nor a "force sync" option? The workaround is very clumsy.

The other thing that irritates me is that when I copy the local files I want also across on a USB stick, they don't show up until I remove that directory then add it again in my local file search. Why is there not a better way to achieve this?

I guess spotify are aiming primarily for the mobile users and don't think about people who make playlists to play across their wifi network.

Strange, just tested this an playlists show up straight away for me. 

Does running a search or loading a profile in the client (to force an outgoing connection) force an update? 

Peter

Peter

Today, I noticed two playlists that are not syncing.

First, I created a playlist on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 while out. I noticed later this afternoon that it was not on my Mac's Spotify client.

Also, I had added playlist to the Spotify web player http://play.spotify.com on my Mac's web browser (Chrome). But that playlist did not show up on either on the Mac client or Galaxy Note 3 Spotify app... but did show up on my Android tablet's Spotify app.

SO, I restarted the Spotify client on my Mac and rebooted my Galaxy Note 3. Went back to Spotify on both...no change.

I clicked on the Galaxy Note 3 in the "Devices" section on the Mac client. I turned on sync (why? what is this?) and I told it to sync all music on my Galaxy Note 3.  It chugged away for about 20 minutes, took up another 5 GB of space, and finished.

But the new playlist on the Galaxy Note 3 is STILL not on the Mac client.

Then I logged out of spotify on the Mac client and Galaxy Note 3 Spotify app, and logged back in.

Still no joy.

This is broken.

How do I fix sync to work properly? And no, I didn't really want to sync everything to my Note 3, I was just trying that out. 

If it's just that one playlist, it could be a corrupt playlist. Try making another new playlist?

Peter

Marked as solution

It resolved itself. After I posted this, I was seeing strange things in the desktop client, and the web client would not even show my playlists.

I do wish Spotify would post a status when they're having trouble, instead of leaving us guessing. Their Twitter ids did not mention any problems at the time.

I checked Spotify on my Galaxy Note 3 this morning, and saw the playlist I added on the web was there. Both new playlists are on the Mac client, Android tablet app and phone app. 

So the issue is gone today, so that is good.

Thanks!

Fred

Yes this used to work fine, but now I can't get it to work at all even if I log out of my phone and back in again. It doesn't work when I search for something on the phone either. Maybe you could give us a sync button?

I am experiencing the same issue. A sync button would be lovely to have.

Suggested posts