Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Private Session Specifically For Facebook?

Private Session Specifically For Facebook?

I just realized, the privacy session feature, is this exclusively when connected to Facebook? I asked because Spotify activity is always turned off, so no activity should be published on Facebook right?

5 Replies

Hey @SpotyThrowbacks

Private Session is not a Facebook-specific feature. Enable it and your Spotify followers won't see what you're listening to through their Friend Activity.

Take a look at this article for more information. 🙂

"Publish My Activity On Spotify" is not Facebook-related either. It simply won't show the recently played artists on your Spotify profile, when the setting is disabled.

If you want to make sure there is no activity posted on Facebook, go to your Facebook apps, click on Spotify and set "App Visibility And Post Audience" to Only Me.

Hope this helps, have a nice day! 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Spotify's answer is misleading... As you can see, "Publsh my activity on Spotify" is turned off. It's only natural that I expect that no one can see what I'm listening to live. Also, "Show my Recently Played Artists" is also turned off. I should have a resonable expectation that I should not have to no one can see my past listenings, unless I manually turn that on. WHAT I HAVE NOTICED, is when I switch the "private Session" on, every thing including "Connect To Facebook" becomes grayed out. Which leads me to logically believe that this although the button shuts off everything, the feature is largely a Facebook feature. Can you ask a moderator on duty to verify?? Thanks. I'd appreciate it.

spotiy.png

@SpotyThrowbacks

Enabling Private Session does indeed grey out the Facebook button and it has done so for a while.

The feature wasn't specifically created for Facebook, it's for allowing the user to listen to songs they wouldn't want their followers to see. It even disables scrobbling to last.fm, so logically no Spotify activity would be visible on Facebook either.

You can edit what Spotify can do on Facebook in Facebook Apps section, when Facebook has been connected to your Spotify account. I have set "App visibility and post audience" to 'Only Me', so nothing is visible.

Hope this helps 🙂

SebastySpotify Star

What I'm asking is.... If I don't use facebook to connnect to spotify, there is no need to turn on "Privacy Session," because my spotify activity (internally) is already shut off to the public (according to the image I've provided)?

@SpotyThrowbacks

Private Session is useful for everyone (doesn't matter if they use Facebook or not). It temporarily hides your listening activity and Recently Listened Artists from the eyes of your followers and also Discover Weekly's algorithm.
It will also disable last.fm scrobbling.

Publish My Activity On Spotify also hides your listening activity from Friend Activity and unlike Private Session it's a permanent setting: Private Session is disabled when you reopen Spotify. Disabling Publish My Activity On Spotify will not block scrobbling and algorithms.

Hope this answers your question 🙂

SebastySpotify Star

Suggested posts