Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Progress indicator in task bar icon is stuck

Progress indicator in task bar icon is stuck

Plan

Premium

Country

Sweden 

Device

Dell laptop

Operating System

Window 7 Professional SP 1

Spotify version

1.0.85.257.g0f8531bd

My Issue

Spotify seems to be using the task bar icon to show progress, as indicated by the green line to the left of the Spotify icon. Presumably, this is for seeing at a glance how far into a song or podcast you've gotten. However, the line never moves so it doesn't actually indicate anything.

I'm not sure when this behaviour started, but it's been a consistent issue in the last four or five versions of the desktop app.

stuck.png
21 Replies

Hey, thanks for reaching out.

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? If that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstallation of the app. Just follow the steps here.

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest!

Rebooted the laptop, same thing. Funny story though, tried to uninstall and nothing happens. The control panel window just goes out of focus as if it's trying to start another program, and then comes back into focus again. Spotify is still in my start menu and all the files are still in %username%/AppData/Roaming/

As for version numbers, I mentioned those in my original post.

Hey @iaoth

Sorry that it didn't help.

Please try to use this <moderator edit> to remove Spotify. Double check the AppData folders for any leftover of Spotify, which usually that app does clean but just to be sure.

If it doesn't work try to uninstall it again from a Safe Mode boot.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

OK, I used the IObit thing, and it removed all traces of Spotify.

(I also had to suffer through a bunch of popups about optimizing my computer, from another IObit program that was secretly trojaned onto my computer without my consent.)

I went to spotify.com, downloaded and reinstalled the app. No change at all, the task bar icon still shows a sliver of green on the left edge; an unmoving progress bar. Playing music doesn't cause the green area to move.

Hey @iaoth,

Thank you for replying!

Most of the utility apps tend to do that. You might have missed to uncheck it during the installation process.

Sorry that it didn’t work.

Please try to sign in with another account and see if that makes any difference.

You can also try to install Spotify on another user account on your PC.

I only have access to my own Spotify account, as well as my own user account on this computer. It's a work laptop, so it's connected to Active Directory and I can't create another user. I don't think I can test this issue any further than I already have.

Can you tell me what the intended behaviour is? Do other people see a normal progress bar moving along the task bar icon, or do they not see a progress bar at all?

Hey @iaoth,

Sorry for the delay.

Could you try the troubleshooting steps in your Home PC?

Sorry, I don't have a home PC.

Hey @iaoth,

Sorry for the inconvenience! I meant a PC at your home.

That's how I interpreted "home PC" as well. Sorry if I wasn't clear, I don't have a PC at home.

This is still an issue in version 1.0.87.491.ge2a121fc

As far as im aware, spotify doesnt do a loading bar in the taskbar for progress in songs, all i've ever seen it do that for is when its downloading a song.

Could you try marking a song for download and see if it refreshes it?

Aha, I didn't know that! Downloading a playlist does move the progress bar, but when it's done it moves right back to the same position. So it seems like my Spotify app constantly thinks it has just begun downloading something, even though I've completely deleted and reinstalled it.

Ok, so it seems like a bug with spotify itself.

You could try deleting Spotify and check all its files (located at C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Spotify) are fully removed then reinstall if you'd like, but it seems that it may just be a bug that spotify themselves need to fix.

At this point, apart from trying what I said above, a spotify moderator may just need to come along and mark this as a bug.

Sorry i cant do more to help. 😞

I have tried deleting and reinstalling, as I just mentioned above. I've also now tried moving the Offline Songs Storage location, which seemed to fix it for a while but when I restarted Spotify just now, the stuck progress came back.

Thanks for your help!

Just thought of something, have you tried turning off hardware acceleration in spotify settings?

No change. I tried turning off Hardware Acceleration now and restarting, and the stuck download progress is still there.

I just found this post (https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Downloading-Nothing/td-p/4512664) stating its a common issue, and that local files can cause it, can you try turning off all local file locations and see if that changes it?

That's actually the first thing I did when you mentioned download progress. But that didn't change anything, obviously.

Suggested posts