Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Radio based on playlist

Solved!

Radio based on playlist

I've built up playlists according to genres, and when I click on 'start radio' I expect Spotify to play music from that genre but it doesn't; what it does instead is play music from random genres. Is this a bug?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi. As I understand it, the radio function uses similar artists rather than the genres in your playlist. The larger your playlist is, the more likely you are to get relevant music but its still an inexact art, sadly.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi. As I understand it, the radio function uses similar artists rather than the genres in your playlist. The larger your playlist is, the more likely you are to get relevant music but its still an inexact art, sadly.

Then I recommend that Spotify look into improving their playlist radio recommendation engine based on genre and subgenre.

I also recommend that the Community moderators move this thread to 'Spotify Ideas'.

When I go to one of my playlists and click the "radio" button, it starts the radio, but says "we have started a radio station based on your top artists." Is this accurate? Why would they use my top artist instead of the playlist I just clicked the radio button from?

Exactly.

Would it be possible to grab a screenshot of that for us @whydoihaveto ? 

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Same thing here... made this list of, ahem, "industrial" songs... Spotify tried to play these:

Cake

Alabama Shakes

Jack White

Alice in Chains

The Smiths

Pixies

TV on the Radio

Arcade Fire

Queens of the Stone Age

Smashing Pumkpins 

Beastie Boys

Primus

Seems that it's not even taking into account the common element of genre as a factor in song selection. Radio should analyize for commonalities as well as trying to merge branches. 

It oddly favors some kind of "alternative 90s" DNA. 

playlist.jpg

Suggested posts