Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Random Song Plays after 1 selected song

Random Song Plays after 1 selected song

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

PC

Operating System

Win 10

My Question or Issue

Whenever I play a song or want to listen to an entire album, one song plays, then a random one. Here's an example: I wanted to listen to a Radiohead album. It played the first song on the album, then played a Kanye song after. I've seen other issues/forums pop up about this issue, but none have been fixed. I even talked to a Spotify Associate and they told me to uninstall, delete my cache file, then reinstall. I did that and it fixed it. The issue is, it came back right after. Is there a permanent fix available?

23 Replies

It has moved from Windows to IOS. It now plays the same 30 songs or so on loop

Hi @Dunrey,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community about this. 

To start, we'd like to have a broader picture of the issue that's happening. Could you share with us a short video recording sharing how the issue develops?, this way we can take a better look at it. 

Also, does the same happen if you turn off your internet connection and play downloaded albums? 

Keep us posted.

MafeGModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

The attached file is what I’m dealing with. When I play a downloaded album with internet off (IOS and Win10) it does the same thing. 

Hi @Dunrey,

Thank you for your reply and for sharing that video. 

Just to confirm, in the video did you start playing the song by tapping on the green Play button, or on the white Play button on the bottom panel of the screen? 

In the meantime, there are some things we can suggest. From Settings, please disable the AutoPlay feature, then clear the queue completely. After that, try playing any album and check if it does normally.

Let us know how this goes.

MafeGModerator

Yes, I am pressing the big green and black Album button. Autoplay and the queue has been cleared, and it worked for about 3 songs before it reverted back into its normal groove

Hi @Dunrey,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

This is extremely odd and we can't recall having seen something similar so we'd like to investigate this further.

Can you have someone log in with their account - such as a friend or a family member? This will help us understand it it's account related or not.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Asked my family (we have a family shared account) if they’re experiencing any issues. They say they’re totally fine. I use Spotify 100x more than them and download more songs than them so maybe that has something to do w/ it?

Hey @Dunrey,

Thanks for the reply.

To check if the issue is related to your account in particular or to your phone, can you create ask a family member to log in with their account on your phone and try playing a few playlists/ albums to see if the same issue occurs.

If that's not currently possible, you can try creating a free account for test purposes. Once you log in with that you can look for playlists that do not have the Shuffle icon next to them. Such a playlist would be Daily Mix. Alternatively, you can ask the Family Plan manager to add this account to the plan if there is a spot, so you can have Premium features and test this out.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

AlexModerator

Other family members have no issues. Deleted my Cache and uninstalled the app from my phone. Something weird is happening though, it’s magically fixing itself I guess? It started as playing random stuff every time. Now it’s slowly moving in the right direction. I actually was able to play a full playlist! Then it went back to random playing. I think the best course of action is to just let it be and I can get back to you in a months time?

Hi @Dunrey,

Thank you for keeping in touch and bearing with us. 

This issue seems rather intermittent and there's a chance we're not able to give a definite solution, as it sounds like it's related to your account.

In this case, we can suggest you test creating a new account and, if everything works fine in that one, you can transfer your playlists to that one with these steps. 

Let us know if you have any questions.

MafeGModerator

I've been having the same issue on multiple devices and can't seem to figure out how to fix it.

Hey there @Luke2567,

Thanks for reaching out.

Can you ask a friend/ family member to log in with their account on one of your devices and check if the same thing is happening. Alternatively, you can create a free account for test purposes and check this out with an album.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

AlexModerator

this doesn't work

Hi @hunterdholbert!

Something else you can check is the apps you've connected your Spotify account to. You can find them on your account page. It's recommended that you remove them temporarily to see if it would have any effect on Spotify's behavior. You can always reconnect them again anytime.

If you use Spotify on multiple devices (for example a PC in addition to your mobile phone), you can check if the Autoplay similar songs when your music ends on other devices is turned off on every device you use.

Keep us posted.

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

I have the same issue. Spotify plays one song from an album I put on, then skips back to whatever I was listening to before after the first song. 

Hey there @Herrjensen,

Thanks for the post.

Can you let us know if this is happening on all your device and what troubleshooting you've gone through so far?

Cheers.

AlexModerator

Same issue here on IPhone (ios 15.5) and app version 8.7.40.1558 

no issue on iPad with same Spotify account.  

I recently connected with the Roskilde Festival app, on iPhone.

I have now tried to clean up in all the access that were given over the years and it seems to fix it on iPhone 

Same here on PC, once I select the second track it carries on.

Hi @Stickman_ben,

Could you confirm that you've tried all the troubleshooting mentioned in the thread so far? Also, does this happen with a specific album/playlist/artist, or with all, at random?

Since we're unable to reproduce this on our end, we'd like to get as much information on what's happening on your end as possible. We'd recommend observing the queue and its behavior - check if the next song in the queue would play, or if the whole queue gets reorganized after the current track finishes playing. A short screen recording which shows this in action would be greatly appreciated.

If possible, try connecting to another device using Spotify Connect and play something. Once again, monitor the queue to see if any dynamic changes would occur.

Keep us posted on this.

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Suggested posts