Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Remove from startup

Solved!

Remove from startup

Spotify automatically starts up when I turn my computer on. How do I stop that? I am using windows 7 os.

169 Replies
Marked as solution

I just installed (06/19/2017) Spotify so should have newest version.

click on down arrow  its to the right of profile button in upper right of page.

click on settings.  Scroll down to end of settings then click on "advanced settings"

Scroll down to "Startup and Window Behaviour"  Subhead says "Open Spotify automatically.

Down arrow gives three choices.  Choose "NO".   Restart..  Spotify  should not start.

And shortcut on desktop put there on installation should now work

" For the longest time ive had "Spotifywebhelper.exe" insisting to remain on when ive tried everything to deny it from being on, without a solution. // Altho, Now with the recent update for spotify, that keept launching spotify on pc startup/boot, I once again tried useing CCleaner to deny programs from starting on boot. It solved the issue with spotify starting on startup AND the annoying Spotifywebhelper "

" (As of before useing CCleaner, It was starting on pc startup, even tho it was marked in Spotify settings as "Start spotify when pc boots - no - "). "

EDIT:

It was an solution.. Until.. i started the pc the next day (even tho i did try multiple reboots after the problem was fixed yesturday, and it didint mess-around no more).

Today the problem is back, And even worse than before, Now its trying to start spotify.exe 3 times + 3 webhelpers, and the CPU usage is going thru the roof. Sigh..

Patch this fast please, This is as annoying, as when (you spotify), Wanted to immitate Itunes and made Spotify white and green, and you got such a huge angry backlash from that.  // Non of the things in this thread is a solution for me, Re-installing doesn't work eider. FIX THIS ******

That's because, at some point they fixed the bug that they insisted didn't exist

i'm also having this issue with spotify opening on windows startup.

and i have it set to not to open on windows start up.

i'm running windows 8.1 64 bit on a dell inspiron 3541 laptop.

I have already set my preferences to not launch on Startup, I checked twice, logged out and restarted the app, but it is still opening automaticall every time I start up my computer!

it worked! thank you

User: https://community.spotify.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/546620

Found an Solution for me that hopefully works permamently. He said: Found a workaround to the problem. In the player settings under "Startup and Windows Behavior" disable "Allow Spotify to be opened from the web". That should get rid of any Spotify command entries in Windows Startup.

It did disable it for me atm. and spotify isint starting on startup at the momment. Altho at this point im sceptical that it will last, As i have tried all "Solutions" and non of them have worked. The CCleaner thing i mentioned, Solved it for a coupple days then it came back worse than before, As if Spotify was angry that it haddnt been allowed to autostart in a coupple days, gave me a black screen on pc boot, and an hour later gave me an bluescreen.

But hopefully - Disableing spotify from being allowed to be opened from the web. Is a permament fix. As i'm tired of Spotify creating a cancerous new bug every like 5 updates.

I have this behavior too. And I'm not in the mood to dig around in the registry for this. Just fix it, Spotify!

In nowadays, Spotify opens on startup, i disabled this option but it still opens.

I removed from msconfig, but it appeared in msconfig again.

Please fix this

Screenshot_815.png
Screenshot_816.png

Mine is also staring. already checked "do not start on startup"

please fix!

Yes, Sam, we "should" be able to, but after the last update, Spotify is launching at start up even when the preferences are set to no.

About not being able to turn off the "Open on Windows startup" feature, please like the active bug report to give it attention as well:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/BUG-Spotify-starts-automatically-with-windows-though...

same to me. i have this issue after connecting my laptop (win 10 creator edition) with another device (my phone, samsung A5 2016). after i closed spotify on desktop, the startup in task manager has created another one of spotify which is it launch the spotify even i choose "no" for startup in advance settings.

Same problem here, Spotify refuses to deactivate auto-start since ~2 days, changing the settings does NOT WORK.

My Spotify is doing the same. "Open Spotify automatically after you log into the computer" is set to 'no', yet Spotify starts as soon as I turn computer on.

Running Windows 7 64Bit Professional.

I am running Windows 10 and (re)installed Spotify a week ago. This autostart thing really annoyed me. I finally managed to come up with a resolution from this very thread that helped. Steps that worked for me:

Open msconfig (Windows key, type msconfig, open System Configuration) or (Windows key + R, type msconfig and then hit enter)

On the screen that opens, goto the startup tab

Click Open Task Manager (which made me think...I could have gotten there faster, by just doing Windows key and typing task, then opening the task manager. But whatever)

In the list on the the tab Start up you will see a line Spotify, click it and then click disable

Hope this helps as a work around, spotify needs to fix this though!!

there is two ways to fix this issue. first to disable the created one of spotify in startup in task manager. or you can disable "allow spotify open from the web" in advance settings. idk why this setting created another spotify in task manager

Exactly the same happening to me.

The NO option in Advanced Settings, seems to be totally broken recently (im writing on July 10th 2017).  Spotify starts automatically regardless.  Please fix this ASAP. 

FWIW I really dont understand why Spotify designers feel that Spotify should start automatically.  Its not a service, its just a normal app.  Its really annoying and a frankly arrogant assumption. 

Suggested posts