Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Crashes when trying to open Local Files

Spotify Crashes when trying to open Local Files

I can open the local files tab but if I leave it to try parse all my music (around 25,000 files) spotify will just crash, this never happened in older versions and has only begun to happen recently.

The quickest workaround I can think of is to give us back the ability to drag files from the folder straight to a playlist, because then it wouldn't require me to ever open the local files tab.

11 Replies

Hey @Dubsys,

Is possible to reproduce the issue while logging is on? Here is how to do so:

1. Exit Spotify ( File > Exit )
  2. Open up CMD and execute the following command:
    %AppData%\Spotify\Spotify.exe --log-file=C:\Users\YourUSER\Desktop\Spotify.log
  3. Now you can find the log file into your Desktop ( Spotify.log )
  4. Attach the log here

Thank you!

ended up having to reinstall spotify because of the new version breaking everything for whatever reason, it seems to be loading in my local files slowly, i'll relaunch with logging if it crashes at some point to avoid a useless bunch of log

crashed again, nothing too interesting in the log from what i can see.

Hey @Dubsys,

Indeed, there is nothing in the log files.

I will have to check with the Staff if this got something to do with the 10,000 songs cap.

I will keep you posted!

it seems to be "detecting" all my songs and linking them to the playlists i have which have local files in them but i can't actually open it up to take songs to add to playlists, i'd assume the way around would be to make a playlist in windows media player or something and then import it and copy paste the songs from that playlist but it's a long workaround just to add a new album to a playlist

pic is what a majority of my local files list looks like, if i leave it open it will probably just end up crashing.

ss+(2016-04-08+at+12.48.14).png

I have the same issue. I don't have any playlists using local files as I'm a box fresh newbie who is trying to sort this out for the first time. But when I try to import my local library (with some Talyor Swift for my daughter), it crashes after a minute or two. Everytime. 

Using windows 8.1, and a large library held on a local hardrive to the PC running the app. 26,000 songs. But it crashes long before we've added even 2000....

When i reload, it has remembered none of the local files, or even where I've told spotify to find the local files...

Cheers for any help.

Hi,

Any news on this issue? The Windows desktop client is still (as of September 2016) crashing while importing my library (18.000+ songs). 

Edit: running Windows 10 btw.

Thanks.

Regards,

Cajus

Hi,

Some update on this issue would be really appreciated. Out of the box fresh newbie with Spotify and it keeps crashing and showing blank boxes while trying to import local files. 

Using Windows 10, newest Spotify edition.

I got mine working in the end by ensuring that everything was the latest
version.

I think I also imported it folder by folder. Dumping 'my music' into it all
at once destroyed it, but when I selected smaller batches, such as all the
album's beginning with A (or whatever), it coped.

Good luck!

Same issue add an itunes library folder as local files with 26000 itmes freezes whole computer. Windows 10.

Would expect to see some sort of progress when adding a folder with lots of files.

I'm having the same issue with about 11k songs, and when I contacted support they said the problem was caused because that number exceeds the 3,333 limit, but I have trouble thinking that's true. Is there really no way to use Spotify to play local files with a large library?  

I would assume most of my local files are available through Spotify, but I have no idea how to look into that so that I have a local file folder monitored by Spotify that's under the 3k limit.

It's a weird issue because it's not throwing up an error message to help troubleshoot. It just freezes, or locks up the whole computer. If it is about limits, shouldn't there just be an error message to tell you that?

Update: after posting, with no further efforts on my part, all my local files seem to appear. Haven't tried playing them but at least they're showing up. Bizarre.

Suggested posts