Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Keeps crashing Computer

Spotify Keeps crashing Computer

I have uninstalled and reinstalled spotify several times BUT it keeps crashing my computer no keyboard response no mouse response. It does start up fine but after a couple of minutes it completly freezes my computer. I am runing windows 10 and have tried the suggestions for it to no avail 

6 Replies

I have experienced the same in Win10. Not a good omen when I am in the free trial period and the app either hangs itself or hangs my whole PC 😞

Hey @jgclarke and @3ChordRev

Which version of Spotify are you running, and are you using the Windows Store app or a regular Spotify program?

I would suggest uninstalling your Spotify and try the other version, for example you have a crashing Windows Store app, try removing it and then install Spotify from here.

It might be worth trying the clean reinstall as well 🙂

1. Close Spotify and uninstall it.

2. Go to %AppData% in Windows Explorer, and delete any Spotify folders you find in Local and Roaming folders.

3. Restart your computer.

4. Install Spotify from the link above or from Windows Store.

Note: you'll have to remove the Windows Store Spotify through Apps and Features. It's also possible to reset the app in the same spot - check this HowToGeek article.

Keep me posted!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

This problem arises when you use many applications on your computer at the same time. The Spotify application is a heavy one because of a huge collection and integration with your local files. Your computer may also not be of high specifications.

You may try to reduce using too many applications or files together when running the Spotify app and run only one other app. This might help with your problem. Otherwise, you may try a higher specification computer.

This is same with mobile applications.

Thank you Sebasty. I unistalled the Win Store App and downloaded the "full" 32-bit version and it is now stable. Thank you. 

PS: I have also got the --enable-audio-graph switch to work on the new version so that I can play audio to S/PDIF.

Nope Rohanpal! It was because the version that I got from the Win Store was unstable. Full version seems to be stable now.

Sure. Keep spotifying!

Suggested posts