Premium

Country

Canada

Device

HP 15 Notebook PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

So I've recently switched to Spotify because of its great compatibility between devices. However, I was met with an error message trying to download the web app (attached). I'd like the app for many reasons, like changing playlist covers, seeing my friends' listening status, etc. but I cannot even run the installer. I've tried changing permissions of the installer and realized that I already had full permissions (also attached). I even changed the user to "Everyone" and gave that user full control of the installer and even then it didn't work. Restarting my PC, re-downloading the installer, not a hint of luck. I hope there is a fix to this!

Thank you,

Daniel

spotify error.JPG
spotify permissions.JPG
4 Replies

Hey @zivsick 

This has quite a few causes, but one of the most likely causes would be Windows trying to protect itself and blocking the file.
You can check and unblock the file by doing this:

1. Right-click on the installer, select Properties
2. In the General tab you should see the Unblock option somewhere.

Similarly, your antivirus software could be doing the same thing.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hey! Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, this didn't work 😞 It actually ended up being blocked so I unblocked it, and disabled antivirus as well, but I'm still getting the same error message as before. No clue why.

Tagging you since I forgot in my reply lol. @Sebasty 

Hey @zivsick 
Apologies for the delay.

Could you try if putting the installer in another folder will do the trick? You can also try running it as administrator.

Other reasons why this error could pop up include corrupt download or the file's location being inaccessible (usually the case with network drives and removable devices).

It's quite an interesting error, so I'd also try downloading an installer for some other program just to see if that happens then too. You can try downloading Malwarebytes. If successful, scan your computer with that. 🙂

Let me know how it goes!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts