Spotify Windows player Discovery screen frozen display

Solved!

Spotify Windows player Discovery screen frozen display

user-removed
Not applicable

Hello!

After the recent update, the discovery screen appears to freeze up graphically on my computer. I can still click links that are 'invisible' and even scroll down and things seem to move by (although I don't see any change except that my mouse pointer turns into that pointing hand that normally shows up when you mouse over a link; the locations that it turns into a pointer change). All other sections appear to work just fine in the desktop app.

It seems that the page just doesnt render beyond the point to where it finishes loading, no content shows up at all, but it's there... just not graphically.

Was there some kind of change in how the discovery section renders? Maybe using hardware rendering or something?

Edit: this affects Apps as well, or at least so far the Pitchfork app.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Solution!

user-removed
Not applicable

According to this doc here, which shows Chromium switches, the following spotify.exe switches can be used to switch off various hardware/GPU accelerations in Spotify. This might be handy for anyone who has experienced issues after latest version switch to 0.9.4.169.gc0399df6

Here's a few that I started with,

--disable-accelerated-video
--disable-accelerated-plugins
--disable-accelerated-overflow-scroll
--disable-accelerated-layers
--disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background
--disable-accelerated-compositing
--disable-accelerated-2d-canvas

You can make a shortcut with the switches or a batch file.
You can also just run the following from Run or a CMD prompt. If it fixes your problem, remove a switch one by one and then you'llknow exactly what needs to be disabled.

%APPDATA%\Spotify\spotify.exe --disable-accelerated-video --disable-accelerated-plugins --disable-accelerated-overflow-scroll --disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background --disable-accelerated-compositing --disable-accelerated-2d-canvas

Using all of these spotify.exe switches fixed it, so I whitled it down to the culprits; these here:

--disable-accelerated-layers

--disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background

obligatory edit: added spotify version

View solution in original post

Solution!

Peter__
Community Legend

If you are on Windows:

Completely exit Spotify.

Hit start > type "run" > hit enter, copy and paste:

%APPDATA%\Spotify\spotify.exe --disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background

into the box and press ok. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

68 Replies

Peter__
Community Legend

There isn't really any way to do it more simply.

If you are on Windows, if you right click on the Spotify icon on your desktop, then select Properties, then go to the Shortcut tab and copy and paste:

--disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background

Onto the end of the text in the Target box that should also do the trick. 

Peter

Rhyz66
Regular

darn it Spotify team why can't you guys just sort this out yet, just spent 3 hrs wondering why my laptop was going into melt down and then remembered this from my main pc, and boom it's working PERFECTLY.

FOR GODS SAKE, SORT IT OUT...... Plus what the hell has happened to suggested songs AGAIN, i am now getting completely unrelated songs to the artists/playlist's i'm listening to.....

Peter__
Community Legend
As far as I know, this is an issue with the underlying rendering engine Spotify uses (which is part of the chromium project) rather than directly being a Spotify issue.

Peter

Deadpiece
Casual Listener

The exact same problem occures with the Adobe Creative Cloud application. The one that allows you to install and remove the CC software. I added the same command line attributes to the path and now it works fine. I wonder if the problem only presents itself with nvidia gpus? I have the GTX 275 with latest dirvers.

Peter__
Community Legend
On my system it appears to be caused by the hybrid intel-nvidia graphics driver.

Peter

RiksteaternLLB
Casual Listener

Hi,

I also have the black screen problem. Solved it by adding "--disable-accelerated-layers" in the target settings of the icon.

Still an issue though, obviously, since it took me a few hours to find the solutions.

I'm running Spotify v 0.9.13.24.g5dbb3103

Win 7 Pro 64 (6.1.7601)

Hp EliteBook 850 G1

i7-4600U

Intel HD graphics 4400 v 10.18.10.3540

So, updating everything on my computer did not help, only by disabling accelerated layers it works fine.

Regards Henrik

no_one_se
Casual Listener

Thanks, it worked

masterball63

Thank you, thank you, a thousand times thank you. the disabling thing totally solved it.

CarlaSousa

My Spotify is giving that frozen screen. 

Where do I go to change that Settings ?

Thnaks, 

Carla

CathalandMary
Roadie

geomorillo
Casual Listener

i can confirm this to be the solution  --disable-accelerated-layers did the job

MieszkoIV
Regular

Hey,

Having this issue again with version 0.9.8.296.g91f68827.

Luckily it's only album, artists and "covers" of my playlists. Still annoying though :C

Cheers!

Przechwytywanie.PNG

Joe
Community Legend

You're not alone. The switches still seem to work thank goodness.

MieszkoIV
Regular

I know 😄 I had the same issue with the previous version of the app.

I find it ridiculous that I have to add commands to shortcuts. It simply means that someting in the app is broken since it used to work without any problems (no hardware/driver changes on my pc).

Thank you for your anwser jwylot! 🙂 Hopefully something will change 😉

Joe
Community Legend

You're welcome. It would help if you could post very briefly there too. I'm going to escalate to staff tomorrow 🙂

loveangelica63

what the heck does all this even mean? ._. 

I'm still having problems after reinstalling like 5 times. 

Solution!

Peter__
Community Legend

If you are on Windows:

Completely exit Spotify.

Hit start > type "run" > hit enter, copy and paste:

%APPDATA%\Spotify\spotify.exe --disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background

into the box and press ok. 

Peter

Peter

DJSmooth
Roadie

That fixed everything! thank you thank you Thank you.

DJSmooth
Roadie

Well, looks like things are back to not working today.  Am I going to need do that everyday i open spotify? Peter?

Peter__
Community Legend

@DJSmooth wrote:

Well, looks like things are back to not working today.  Am I going to need do that everyday i open spotify? Peter?

On v0.9.4 yes, however v0.9.6 is currently rolling out which will hopefully fix the issue. 

If you haven't got it yet, download the installer manually from:

http://download.spotify.com/Spotify%20Installer.exe 

Run it, let it update and then see if you get the same issue! 

Let me know 🙂

Peter

DJSmooth
Roadie

installed version 0.9.6.72 yesterday, this morning signed on and things are still not working.  I have to go in and do the step you mentioned, so the update did not fix it.

SUGGESTED POSTS