Spotify Windows player Discovery screen frozen display

Solved!

Spotify Windows player Discovery screen frozen display

user-removed
Not applicable

Hello!

After the recent update, the discovery screen appears to freeze up graphically on my computer. I can still click links that are 'invisible' and even scroll down and things seem to move by (although I don't see any change except that my mouse pointer turns into that pointing hand that normally shows up when you mouse over a link; the locations that it turns into a pointer change). All other sections appear to work just fine in the desktop app.

It seems that the page just doesnt render beyond the point to where it finishes loading, no content shows up at all, but it's there... just not graphically.

Was there some kind of change in how the discovery section renders? Maybe using hardware rendering or something?

Edit: this affects Apps as well, or at least so far the Pitchfork app.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Solution!

user-removed
Not applicable

According to this doc here, which shows Chromium switches, the following spotify.exe switches can be used to switch off various hardware/GPU accelerations in Spotify. This might be handy for anyone who has experienced issues after latest version switch to 0.9.4.169.gc0399df6

Here's a few that I started with,

--disable-accelerated-video
--disable-accelerated-plugins
--disable-accelerated-overflow-scroll
--disable-accelerated-layers
--disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background
--disable-accelerated-compositing
--disable-accelerated-2d-canvas

You can make a shortcut with the switches or a batch file.
You can also just run the following from Run or a CMD prompt. If it fixes your problem, remove a switch one by one and then you'llknow exactly what needs to be disabled.

%APPDATA%\Spotify\spotify.exe --disable-accelerated-video --disable-accelerated-plugins --disable-accelerated-overflow-scroll --disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background --disable-accelerated-compositing --disable-accelerated-2d-canvas

Using all of these spotify.exe switches fixed it, so I whitled it down to the culprits; these here:

obligatory edit: added spotify version

View solution in original post

Solution!

Peter__
Community Legend

If you are on Windows:

Completely exit Spotify.

Hit start > type "run" > hit enter, copy and paste:

%APPDATA%\Spotify\spotify.exe --disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background

into the box and press ok. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

68 Replies

Katarabsian

Looks like my hybrid cards were causing the same problem too, very annoying as it would stop and start but only started happening recently. Graphic drivers up to date as well..

Anyway, thanks for the fix!

Deadpiece
Casual Listener

They fixed it?! I just updated Spotify to the latest version, and it doesn't crash anymore. Running it now without any additional command line options and it works fine.

It really took a while, but nice to see that the message got through.

RiksteaternLLB
Casual Listener

Hi,

I also updated my Spotify today, but I still have a black screen and need to disable accelerated layers to make it work. 😞

Henrik

psykez

For those struggling with this who are running HP laptops with dual graphics options, set spotify to always use "power saving" graphics and this will solve the issue (untill a permanent fix becomes avaliable)

Phil-Jay
Casual Listener

@psykez wrote:

For those struggling with this who are running HP laptops with dual graphics options, set spotify to always use "power saving" graphics and this will solve the issue (untill a permanent fix becomes avaliable)

HP ZBook 14 - dual graphics (Intel & AMD).... I can confirm the issue.... and the fix!

Guess it needs to be forced to only use one video card (the Intel...)

ewilah
Casual Listener

The current update releases haven't worked for me, either. Discovery/radio pages are still black as well as the "share music with friends" window. I've been emailing back and forth about this with the tech support but they've been silent for a few weeks now. Too bad that the update didn't work :c

Peter__
Community Legend

If you guys are using Windows, does starting Spotify like outlined in this post fix the issue? 

Peter

DJSmooth
Roadie

Peter, yes if start spotiy as you suggested everything is fine, discovery page shows properly, and i can share music. If i forget and just sign on as i should be able to, the discovery page is blank/white as is my share dialogue box.  Thanks for the help. As a premium paying customer, this is extremely frustrating .

Peter__
Community Legend

Just double checked, this has been raised as an ongoing issue with v0.9.6 so the Spotify team are aware of it.

Peter

DJSmooth
Roadie

Can't believe this is STILL an issue, I still have to jump thru hoops for this to work properly, what do I need to do to get a proper update?

DJSmooth
Roadie

Any idea on when this may be fixed?

Peter__
Community Legend

If that is directed at me unfortunately I can't answer since I don't work for Spotify. 

I would hope for the next release, but its pretty hard to tell! 

Peter

DJSmooth
Roadie

Thanks Peter, & just in case anyone working for Spotify is reading, This is still an issue. Every morning I have to copy & paste this  

%APPDATA%\Spotify\spotify.exe --disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background

in order for my spotify to work properly.  As a premium member, I shouldn't have to jump thru these hoops, it's extremly frustrating.

CathalandMary
Roadie

Hi, I found that this trick solved a huge no. of problems for me - 

right click, properties, go to the compatability tab, and uncheck the compatabilty box.

Can you let me know if this works for you?

thx -  c

Peter__
Community Legend

@DJSmooth wrote:

Thanks Peter, & just in case anyone working for Spotify is reading, This is still an issue. Every morning I have to copy & paste this  

in order for my spotify to work properly.  As a premium member, I shouldn't have to jump thru these hoops, it's extremly frustrating.

Appreciate its a pain, I've bumped the escalation so the guys know it is still an issue. Just for identification purposes what version of the client are you currently using (Help > About)? 

What I would suggest in the mean time to save you from having to copy and paste all the time:

1. Right click on the Spotify Icon on your desktop > Copy.

2. Right click on space on the desktop > Paste. You should get a copy of the Spotify Shortcut. 

3. Right click on the new icon > Select Properties > Shortcut > In the Target box add "--disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background" at the end. 

4. Press ok.

Then use that icon to launch Spotify - should work (hopefully!).

Peter

ewilah
Casual Listener

I'm also having this problem for ~3 weeks now, except instead of light blue my Discover and Radio pages are both black. The links are still there, though, since the mouse cursor changes when i hover over the blackness. They're just not graphically visible.

So far I've checked that my graphics card drivers are up to date and reinstalled spotify. I've also been in contact with the tech support about this but so far they haven't come up with a solution. I tested today and web player seems to work just fine. I have also tried logging in using a different account but the blackness remains there as well.

I'm running spotify unlimited version 0.9.4.178.g259772ba on a 64-bit win7.

I also didn't really understand the possible solution about the switches, so if anyone would care to explain a bit more about those I'd be happy to try them out 😄

Solution!

user-removed
Not applicable

According to this doc here, which shows Chromium switches, the following spotify.exe switches can be used to switch off various hardware/GPU accelerations in Spotify. This might be handy for anyone who has experienced issues after latest version switch to 0.9.4.169.gc0399df6

Here's a few that I started with,

--disable-accelerated-video
--disable-accelerated-compositing
--disable-accelerated-2d-canvas

You can make a shortcut with the switches or a batch file.
You can also just run the following from Run or a CMD prompt. If it fixes your problem, remove a switch one by one and then you'llknow exactly what needs to be disabled.

%APPDATA%\Spotify\spotify.exe --disable-accelerated-video --disable-accelerated-plugins --disable-accelerated-overflow-scroll --disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background --disable-accelerated-compositing --disable-accelerated-2d-canvas

Using all of these spotify.exe switches fixed it, so I whitled it down to the culprits; these here:

obligatory edit: added spotify version

zarza87

Thanks so much this worked. Although I had to disable a lot of them. 

--disable-accelerated-video-decode

These five ones, because only with the "layers" and "root background" wouldn't do the trick.

suyashbansal
Casual Listener

Thanks...

It worked like a charm 😛

olgun2111

hi i saw how you solve the black screen on spotify what ı dıdnt understand anythıng on how you do ıt can you explain the same thing to me more simple please ?

SUGGESTED POSTS