Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify always boots on startup

Spotify always boots on startup

Plan: Premium

Device: Issues occurs on multiple Windows 10 laptops

Operating System: Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Every time I boot my computer, spotify opens up. The option for opening automatically (under "Startup and Window Behaviour" in settings) is set to "no." There is no spotify task in the startup tab of the task manager (or I would have disabled it). I've reinstalled both Spotify & Windows, and the problem still persists. I've search the forums here, but none of the suggested solutions work. 

4 Replies

Hey there @hadleym,

thanks for posting in the community !

Please try the following :

(1) Delete the Spotify Icon on your desktop if you currently have one. (Any Spotify shortcuts created before completing these steps will no longer work).

(2) Open task manager (ctrl + shift + esc)

(3) Switch to Processes tab and Right-Click "Spotify.exe" and select "open file location".

(4) In this folder you should see two application files named, "Spotify" and "SpotifyLauncher".

Right click each file and add a 1 to the end of the file name.

"Spotify1" and "SpotifyLauncher1"

(5) Right click Spotify1 and select create shortcut. It should make a shortcut icon which you can drag to your desktop. (This file can be renamed to anything as long as the target is not changed).

Let me know how you did 😃

Howdy @OneByBoo - thanks for the quick suggestion. It would have been a pain to do that on all OSs on all my machines (and re-do it every time I need to do a fresh install), so I've been looking for an alternative. I think I've managed to fix it. I disabled hibernation, which in turn disables fast startup, and Spotify hasn't opened the past few times I've booted. I suspect that is the culprit.

Nope... I spoke too soon. It suddenly started happening again after stopping for a while.

I'm having this same issue too. I'd like to properly attempt this solution, but the problem is that there's no file named "SpotifyLauncher", I even searched the entire Spotify folder. The closest I can see is "SpotifyStartupTask." Would I just rename that file instead?

Suggested posts