Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify can't install, can't delete app data > Application running

Solved!

Spotify can't install, can't delete app data > Application running

Spotify did one of it's automatic updates, but then it was stuck on the installing bar forever. I then received error 18 and 14. So I uninstall spotify through control panel, but when I try to reinstall after rebooting I get the same message.

When I try to delete the spotify files in appdata, I get a message saying I cannot delete the files due to the program being open. Even though I uninstalled it?

Help please :'(

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi there,
Welcome at the Spotify Community!

Could you check out if it works for you when you follow the steps below?

1. Open your taskmanager (on Windows you can do so by pressing CTRL + ALT + DEL), and close Spotify.exe, SpotifyCrashService, and SpotifyWebHelper.exe.
  2. Try to remove the files once again, does it work now?
  3. After you've removed all files, please reboot your PC to make sure it all gone now. 
  4. Open taskmanager once again, does it still show Spotify processes?
  5. If not, please try to install the program from the Full Installer (this one doesn't need to download files for the program, it's like an offline installer).

Please let me know if it still doens't work after trying these steps. Thank you!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I am having the same problem but when I go to end Spotify.exe process. I get error message.

The operation could not be completed. Access denied.

Marked as solution

This thread is getting a bit old, but I stumbled upon the same problem. While the complete installer worked fine for me, I was bugged about the fact that Spotify (or some other software) was limiting my own access to MY computer.

For me the answer was SAFE MODE, entered in without network access in Windows 10 and deleted the spotify folder in AppData as well as any other folder related to Spotify (Spotify crash service has another one in Temp if I remember correctly). Just remember your password and all that (and set up Admin accounts to be sure before entering safe mode in win 10 since it's something you have to turn off once you are inside safe mode as it will boot to it every time until you turn it off), which for me was a bit tricky since it turned out to be my old Outlook.com password and not the new one that I set up a few months back (this may be different with network access).

Anyway, this should allow you to delete the files without any other programs controlling wether or not you can do so. For me this fixed everything and In was able to install updates again as well as using the online installer.

16 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi there,

1. Open your taskmanager (on Windows you can do so by pressing CTRL + ALT + DEL), and close Spotify.exe, SpotifyCrashService, and SpotifyWebHelper.exe.
  3. After you've removed all files, please reboot your PC to make sure it all gone now. 
  5. If not, please try to install the program from the Full Installer (this one doesn't need to download files for the program, it's like an offline installer).

Please let me know if it still doens't work after trying these steps. Thank you!

The full installer worked for me. Many thanks for your solution MichaelW : )

Marked as solution

I am having the same problem but when I go to end Spotify.exe process. I get error message.

@jayr89 wrote:

Same thing still happening, can anyone help with this?

I am having the same problem, but I dont have spotify running in my taskmanager, and it still won't delete :s
Marked as solution

This thread is getting a bit old, but I stumbled upon the same problem. While the complete installer worked fine for me, I was bugged about the fact that Spotify (or some other software) was limiting my own access to MY computer.

For me the answer was SAFE MODE, entered in without network access in Windows 10 and deleted the spotify folder in AppData as well as any other folder related to Spotify (Spotify crash service has another one in Temp if I remember correctly). Just remember your password and all that (and set up Admin accounts to be sure before entering safe mode in win 10 since it's something you have to turn off once you are inside safe mode as it will boot to it every time until you turn it off), which for me was a bit tricky since it turned out to be my old Outlook.com password and not the new one that I set up a few months back (this may be different with network access).

Anyway, this should allow you to delete the files without any other programs controlling wether or not you can do so. For me this fixed everything and In was able to install updates again as well as using the online installer.

Still having issues. Spotify is not on my task manager, and cannot delete the file. Says it is still running somewhere?

Hi @shelley_elise welcome!

Might sound simple. but does a reboot help?

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
Last.fm | Twitter

Backstage Intro - Meet Jordi!
What's it like to be in a Spotify Office?

Did I help? Please add a like!
Did I solve your issue? Please accept as the solution!

Thank you for the reply, Jordi! 

I re-read the thread and started windows in Safe Mode, deleted ALL spotify files, and reinstalled. Seems to be working well now!

even in my task manager spotify doesnt show up

@MichaelW wrote:

Hi there,

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

THAT DOES NOT WORK FOR ME! There are no traces of spotify on my task mannager, and I think the problem resides in the fact I "need permmision" to delete the appdata\roaming file!

Did you try going though safe mode? I had to do that to get it to work properly on my computer. Safe mode will essentialy stop all other programs from running, which means you get a lot more direct access to the files themselves. Safe mode should also always be entered as admin, so that should not be an issue either.

It's a bit more of a complicated aproach, but if you can't get it to work like the other suggestion then this might be a solution for you.

I tried the other installer on safe mode and it would not open, there were
no problems before I installed equalifier pro.
I am using a Windows 10 intel dell laptop

try going to task manager and go to background processes and check if spotify is there. If so end the task down using the button at the bottom right.

Same bro

Suggested posts