Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify connect with VPN

Spotify connect with VPN

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Operating System

Windows 10 laptops

My Question or Issue

For reasons unrelated to spotify I need to use a VPN on my computer. I am US based on use TunnelBear which gives me a US IP. I also like to use the "Spotify Connect" feature to be able to control the computer with my phone or another computer. This used to work fine, but recently I have noticed that Spotify is not able to see my device on the VPN or control it. If I disconnect from the VPN it works fine. Might it work if I use another VPN instead? Any other suggestions?

For reasons unrelated to spotify I need to use a VPN on my computer. I am US based on use TunnelBear which gives me a US IP. I also like to use the "Spotify Connect" feature to be able to control the computer with my phone or another computer. This used to work fine, but recently I have noticed that Spotify is not able to see my device on the VPN or control it. If I disconnect from the VPN it works fine. Might it work if I use another VPN instead? Any other suggestions?

28 Replies

Hi @RTM1,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Could you try toggling off / on Show only local devices in the app's settings on your phone to see if that does the trick? You can also check your VPN settings to see if there's anything there that may be preventing your PC from showing up in the available devices in Spotify Connect.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers!

YordanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Toggling on/off on my phone did not make the computer visible. Same problem occurs on another computer where I can't find this option. VPN options have not changed and checked them.

Thanks

Hi again @RTM1,

Thanks for the reply.

You can try changing your network profile (If it's currently set on public, set it to private) and configure your Firewall's settings so that it doesn't block Spotify.

Make also sure that Spotify and your VPN client are up to date. If the issue persists, you can get in touch your your VPN provider, as you don't experience this behavior while not connected to it.

The Community is always here if there's anything else you need assistance with.

Take care.

YordanModerator

Thank you for the reply.

I switched the wifi connection to private without any change. 

spotify.exe was already set to be allowed by the firewall on both public and private connections.

I tried using a different VPN service/client with the same result. Tried engaging the firewall on another laptop and same result.

Seems spotify has changed their program in a way which makes the program less usable and makes me less inclined to keep paying.

Hello,

Same question here. Spotify Connect was perfectly working til… yesterday !

I am French, and I must use a VPN to work on my pro-computer. I listen to Spotify from my personal computer, and use Spotify Connect to command it.

But since yesterday, once I turn on my VPN, no more Spotify Connect. Very disappointing. I don't know what "you" changed, but please ask dev to do something.

Thanks.

Hey @TofVW,

Thanks for your post.

Could you confirm that when you don't have any issues when you aren't connected to the VPN? Also, are you using the Spotify version from the Microsoft Store, or the one you can download from our website? If possible, try uninstalling the current one you have and download the other to see if that does the trick.

Keep us posted.

YordanModerator

Hello, thanks for your answer,

I confirm it works perfectly before I turn the VPN on (and after I turn it off, of course 😅 ).

I noticed this morning that, when the VPN is running, I don't see my personal computer, neither my smartphone, but I can see my SmartTV in available devices. If it can help…

Til now I was using the Store version of Spotify, but yesterday I tried the "normal version", and I still have the issue.

One more precision : if I use the web version of Spotify on my pro-computer (with MS Edge), Spotify Connect works, even with the VPN turned on. But that's a temporary solution (I can't use shortcuts on my keyboard for play/pause).

Hi @TofVW,

Thanks for trying!

What you can try next is changing the Proxy settings on the desktop app. By default Autodetect settings should be set, but you can try changing to No proxy, then restart the app. If the issue persists you can ask an administrator to configure the Proxy settings for you.

On your phone, make sure that Show local devices only is disabled under the app's settings.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers!

YordanModerator

Hello,

Nothing changes if I set "No proxy". ☹️ And I don't think my IT will do something if I ask. 😅

Don't bother, I'll wait for a possible update that will fix this issue, and use the web version in the meantime.

Many thanks for trying to help me. 👍🏻

Hey again @TofVW,

Thanks for being so cooperative!

You can give one last try to the following steps to see if that does the trick:

1. Open Notepad as an Administrator (right-click the executable > Run as Administrator).
  2. Go to File > Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc.
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open.
  4. When the file is opened, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 127.0.0.1 website2.com.
  5. Check for any entries with spotify or fastly in the address. Examples may look like 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com or 0.0.0.0 prod.b.ssl.us-eu.fastlylb.net. If you do find any, you can delete the line.
  6. Save your changes and restart the Spotify app.

Note: you may need to request help from your administrator if you cannot edit the file yourself.

Hope this helps. In the meantime, we'll be on the lookout for similar reports about this.

Take care!

YordanModerator

Hello,
No, there's nothing about Spotify in my host file. Anyway, if there was something in, that wouldn't be working, even with the VPN turned off.

Hey @TofVW,

Thank you for keeping in touch.

We appreciate the time you took trying the troubleshooting steps so far. Since the app it’s being used with a VPN, it’s possible that some things might not work properly. However, we'd still like to check things out.

Could you try with a different VPN client (if possible) to see if it makes any difference? 

Also, would you mind confirming if when starting the playback from the second device that's not connected to the VPN, does it show in the main device (the one connected to the VPN)?

Lastly, let us know the name of the VPN you’re using to investigate further.

We’ll be on the lookout. 

OscarDCModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Hello @OscarDC,

Unfortunatly I can't try another VPN, that's the one installed by my IT, and the computer is "very locked" for installing softwares (I don't even have access the Store apps update, I had to find a website to do it manually).

The name is "BigIP Edge".

I do confirm that, before I start the VPN to work, everything goes fine, I can see my personal computer from my pro one, and vice versa.

And before last week, it was still working even with the VPN turned on. Something changed during the last week of march, I don't know if it came from Spotify or from the VPN…

Regards.

Hey @TofVW,

Thank you for keeping us in the loop.

Since this is a VPN installed by IT, most likely it has new restrictions updated that are affecting the proper performance of the app.

The VPN’s used for work are usually restricted for streaming services, downloads, installation and data exchange by security protocols. In this case, we’d recommend using your app without a VPN to avoid those restrictions or contact your IT service to check if the limitations can be changed from their end.

Hope you’ll find this information useful. If anything else comes up, the Community will be here for you.

OscarDCModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

I have the same issue as the original poster. I also need to use a VPN for work on my Windows computer. The VPN is through the built-in Windows VPN settings. Once I connect to the VPN, I can no longer find my computer on Spotify Connect on my other devices (Android phone, tablet, other computers, etc.).

I have confirmed that it's not my VPN blocking Spotify Connect. When I log into the VPN on my tablet, the tablet is still visible under the device list on my other devices.

After doing some digging, it seems like this is a problem with how the Spotify desktop program is designed. See this post from 2017:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Spotify-Connect-Network-Interface-Prioritization-up...

I have the same issue as original poster.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 Home
Version 10.0.22000 Build 22000

System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Inspiron 5515

Using Tunnel Bear VPN on both Windows desktop and Galaxy A53 Android device.  Issues with Spotify Connect failing to recognize or allow control of other devices on local network whil VPN is enabled only occur on desktop app, and not on Android app.

Spotify is there a reason the desktop app cannot be updated or fixed???

I switched to Mullvad VPN and I believe the problem went away. Makes me think it's an issue with TunnelBear and some other VPNs.

I have PIA VPN on my personal computer and having the same issues still.

I have a similar issue with checkpoint VPN. Like many of the users here the VPN is provided by my work. If i load the app before starting the VPN, It can discover all devices on my network. If I load the app after, It can only find my single amazon echo. If I did the first thing and loaded the app before, all discovered devices can be interfaced with. It's like the VPN is blocking whatever port the discovery is on.

Suggested posts