Free

Country

United Kingdom

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

My spotify has been consistently not working for the last 2 days and it always comes up with the error message 'something went wrong, try reloading the page'. Obviously reloading the page hasnt helped. This comes up on both the web player and the desktop app but my mobile version seems to work perfectly fine. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling over 10 times, changing host files and even loading the web player in incognito browser but none of it has helped me. If there any other steps i can do or anything i might of done wrong which might of broke my spotify then please tell me. Thank you in advance

13 Replies

Hey @mattdoom1,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

Could you try connecting your computer to another network like a mobile hotspot? This will help us understand if the issue is network related.

Also, make sure that no Firewall of System management software is not blocking Spotify, and that no VPN is enabled.

Let us know how it goes.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I tried the mobile hotspot method and nothing changed and I do not own a vpn and never have. I had previously tried the firewall method where i had turned off my firewall temporarily and opened spotify and nothing changed from that either. If you could say how I could check that my system management isn't blocking spotify that would be of help and if you have any other methods i could try that would help and thank you for your response.

Hey @mattdoom1

Thanks for getting back to us. 

If you tried a regular reinstall and it didn't help, we also recommend giving it a go with a clean reinstall. This will update Spotify to the latest app version and remove corrupted data from previous installations that might be causing this. After the clean reinstall make sure you restart the device and then download Spotify from the Microsoft store.  

Just to confirm, have you tried any troubleshooting of your current network? For example, try restarting the connection device (router or modem) and let us know if it makes a difference. 

Hope this helps. Keep us in the loop here. 

I did all these and nothing changed. I was previously downloading the spotify app from the spotify website instead of the microsoft store and I dont know if that would of made a difference to anything. I think it might be the firewall because when i try to login without using google it comes up with a message talking about my firewall blocking it. Is there a way i can stop my firewall blocking spotify without completely turning off my firewall? 

Hi @mattdoom1

Thanks for getting back to us. 

No worries, you can head over to Settings > Windows security > Firewall & network protection > Allow an app through firewall > Spotify and make sure both boxes are checked > restart your PC. 

If this doesn't make any difference, could you send us a screenshot of the error message you're seeing? Make sure not to send any private info.

We'll be on the lookout.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I had already allowed spotify to bypass my firewall previously from youtube videos i had watched to try and resolve this. This is the error message i get when I log in with email and password. It doesn't happen though when I login with my google account but then the other error message comes up which is the original one I talked about

image_2021-06-06_191923.png

Hi there @mattdoom1,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop 🙂

Could you try running the app as an administrator to check if anything changes?

It's also a good idea to reinstall the app in while in safe mode. Does the issue persist?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

If you meant running the spotify app as administrator then I did that and nothing changed. I also tried the safe mode thing but nothing changed either.

Hi again @mattdoom1

Thanks for your reply.

If possible, could you give it a try using a different desktop device to see if you notice the same behavior? 

Keep us posted on how it goes.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

I logged into the spotify web player on my family members computer and it worked perfectly fine. 

Hey @mattdoom1,

Thanks for the info 🙂

Just to double-check- does the issue occur on a personal computer or a work computer?

In case you're using an ad-blocking software, you can try disabling it to check if anything changes.

Keep us posted.

Ver Moderator

Its a personal computer and I do not own any ad blockers

Hey @mattdoom1,

Thanks for keeping us posted 🙂

It's a good idea to check if there are any available window updates and driver updates.

It's also worth trying resetting the password to see if that makes a difference.

In case nothing changes, could you send us screenshots of what you're seeing while reinstalling the app in safe mode?

Additionally, just to double-check- were you able to log in to your account after getting the first error message?

Keep us in the loop.

Ver Moderator

Suggested posts