Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify if taking 1.3GB of memory on Windows

Spotify if taking 1.3GB of memory on Windows

Plan: Premium

Device: Lenovo Legion Laptop

Operating System: Windows

My Question or Issue: Spotify is taking up way too much memory. All the sudden my computer froze and when I checked the task manager and I found that it was using 1.3GB all the sudden. 

30 Replies

It seems like Spotify has a memeory leak. On my computer Spotify has started to use more and more memory. At some point, when there is no more memory available it chrashes.

Spotify has become absolutley useless now.

gfredhei_0-1620712779132.png

I've reported this too, to no response, my computer freezes up even when Spotify is idle. The desktop app is a complete waste of space. I can just about get the web player to work but have to restart it every hour or so. Most programmers would treat this sort of issue as a top priority bug to get fixed. Spotify don't seem to give a damn.

Why have they marked this as solved?

Hi there folks,

Thank you for your posts here in the Community.

Can you let us if and what troubleshooting steps you've taken so far?

We also suggest that you perform a clean reinstall of the app. This will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

It would also be great if you can let us know if you have the same issue with other devices?

We'll keep an eye out for your replies.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hey,

I had done a clean reinstall. The issue hasn't come about after that but when I run Spotify, more than one instance of it is there in the task manager sometimes. 

AadityakiranS_0-1621396305068.png

I don't know what this was for or if this is intended. Just thought I'd post it here. 

Hey @AadityakiranS

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. 

If you still observe the same after a clean reinstall we recommend checking your hosts file for entries that need to be deleted. Follow the steps described here on how you can do that.

It's also a good idea to clear the cache on your device by following the steps listed here.

Hope this helps, keep us posted. 

The first link that you sent:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Answers/Can-t-access-the-Web-Player/ta-p/4631438

Has something to do with accessing the web player. That has nothing to do with what I posted right? Was that a mistake?

Hey @AadityakiranS

Thanks for getting back. 

The article linked describes how to clean up the hosts file on your device from entries that might need to be removed. The title is related to the Spotify web player since the same steps work for another type of issue. 

Make sure you scroll down to find the relevant steps depending on the device in use and feel free to follow them. 

Let us know how it goes. 

Yeah I saw that now. Thanks. Sorry about that.

Hi again @AadityakiranS,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

Let us know if we can help you with anything else 🙂

Take care!

JeremyModerator

After a complete reinstall the problem is still there.

Some furter testing shows that the escalating memory consumption starts after a couple of minutes after staring Spotify.

My activities in Spotify does not seem to make any difference. Same thing happens whatever I am doing (or not doing).

Hi there @gfredhei,

Thank you for your reply.

It would be really helpful if you can send us screenshots, and if possible a video that showcases how the app continues to use up memory even without any activity in the app. 

Also, can you let us know the exact windows version, including current build and revision?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply,.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator

hI!

I was only able to capture a video of the taskbar window.

As you can see in the video I start Spotify and just wait for the memeory consuption to start. After about two and a half minute the memory consumtion starts.

All I do is start Spotify, wait, then stop the vide capture after about 5 minutes.

Video capture 

gfredhei_0-1621598718801.png

Hey @gfredhei,

Thanks for getting back to us and for the video.

Could check if toggling the Enable hardware Acceleration feature on/off in the Settings menu makes a difference?  It's a good idea to go to Settings>Local Files and disable any unmercenary sources from the list Show songs from bellow.

Keep us posted how things work out.

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Changing the Enable Hardware Acceleration does not make any difference

Hey @gfredhei,

Thanks for bearing with us and for trying all our suggestions.

Try heading to the app Settings and toggle the option Local Files on > toggle off all the sources that appear there > toggle Local Files back off.

Let us know if this does the trick. We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

Hi all, I suffer from the same problem, but to me it looks that the memory leak happens only when sorting playlists. When I simply use spotify to browse around and play music, memory usage remains stable at <200MB. As soon as I start sorting playlists by clicking at the top of a column, memory usage starts rising and doesn't go down again. If I keep sorting (just keep on clicking) memory usage goes up and up until at some point things get slow and ultimately the whole UI crashes.

The suggestions given in this topic do not help...

Is anyone else also seeing this memory leak (and UI crash) when sorting playlists?

Hi there @sajdvbdhjxdzcsd,

Thank you for your post in this thread. We're happy to help.

Can you let us know which app you're using - The Microsoft Store version or the one that can be downloaded and installed from our website? It would be great if you can try the one that you don't use to see if the issue persist.

Also, can you provide us a screen recording of your whole screen so that we can have a closer look directly from your end?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator

**bleep** , "solution" , "resolved" , "new update is great"

clearly, no one gives a **bleep**, and they are marking these things because it doesn't matter to anyone higher up. Think about that. No one cares. Enjoy.

I already cancelled switched to a new platform. Will I ever come back? Will my kids? Will my wife? 

New update destroyed spotify for music fans.

Suggested posts