Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify keeps getting slower

Spotify keeps getting slower

Device

8700K @ 5.2ghz, 64gb DDR4 3200mhz C16,  Adata XPG SX8200 M.2 and Ryzen 7 3800X, 32GB, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB M.2.

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro and Win 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019 

My Question or Issue

Sptofy keeps becoming slower and not using the available system resources on mutiple decent multimedia pc's.

I find it unexcusable how rubbish the spotify application works these day's, it's barely usable, especially in large playlists.

Filtering through a playlist also takes ages. The application is unresponsive or slow despite barely using any resources, my cpu, and stroage drive are sitting idling or barely under 10% use while spotify is waiting for **bleep** all.

Please improve the desktop application to use the available system resources properly.

11 Replies

Hey there @snovvdog,

Thanks for getting in touch with us. Don't worry. We'll look into this and help you enjoy your jams again.

You can start by making sure that you've downloaded it from the Microsoft store.

After that we'd suggest you restart the devices and to log out and log back in to the account. You can also try with another network connection to see if that makes a difference.

Let us know how it goes. If you have questions, we are here for you.

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I have the same problem. It takes ages to filter something, e.g. ~5 seconds on the list containing 3k songs. Application was never particularly responsive, but now it deteriorated even more

Hey there @cpp0x,

Thanks for reaching out to us 🙂

You can start off by running a clean reinstall. You can check these steps, in order to make sure the cache is not leading to issues.

If that doesn't help, we'd suggest you try on a different device. That way we can see if it's a device-related issue.

Let us know how it goes. If you have questions, you know where to find us.

PetyaModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Sorry, no Microsoft Store on Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC, I want a decent x86/x64 application, not UWP, UWP is not multi monitor/window friendly.

So Microsoft store/Universal windows platform is irrelevant.

Ridiculous suggestions! Use a different device??? Did you read the specs of OP, if your application runs slow on that then the problem is YOUR APPLICATION.

I downloaded both the latest version of the Spotify app from the Spotify web site as well as from the Microsoft Store.  The search on both is a slow as each other.

If I search for "Brit Funk Association" it takes approx 1 min 45 seconds to return a hit.  

If I do the same thing on the same laptop from the Spotify Web app in the browser (Chrome) it comes back almost instantaneously - even giving a type ahead type experience. So I know it isn't my internet connection.

Something is definitely wrong with the desktop app. rendering it useless really as I use it a lot for search.

I'm at the point now where I think I'll use the browser instead.

It's not just global search, searching in large playlists via CTRL-F also brings everything to the standstill. Even when the search is completed any subsequent interaction with the application is slughish.

Hey there folks,

Thanks for sharing your info with the Community!

If you have a large number of playlists with hundreds or even thousands of songs, it is expected that the app will slow down, since it takes more time for it to sync up with the servers across all your devices. In cases like these we recommend sorting your music in smaller playlists, which should significantly increase performance. The same goes for your Liked Songs - try sorting those in smaller playlists if you have over a thousand songs in there.

Hope you find this info useful. Don't hesitate to give us a shout if you have more questions.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I don't believe that a playlist with 1000+ songs should behave more sluggish. A playlist is in the end just a list of song ID's and the base-62 song ID's are really small bits of data. Even thousands of them only puts you in the kilo-Byte range of data need. A simple photo probably takes up way more data than a playlist containing 10,000 songs.

I too, don't think it has anything to do with the size of the playlist.  The problem I face is that it works fine for me in the Spotify web app running just in browser, but is abysmal if I try to do the exact same thing in the Windows desktop application.

I reckon it's something wrong in that desktop app.

Shorter playlists are a quick and dirty workaround, but not a great solution.  Especially as I find a playlist has to have at least about a thousand tracks to listen to very much in shuffle mode without repeat tracks getting annoying.  

The Android mobile app also returns instant results from searching or filtering a 5000-song playlist, like the web browser version, while the desktop app often takes well over a minute.

Playlists are also often slow to open, even short ones.  I've frequently had playlists with under 20 songs take up to 10 seconds just to open on the desktop app.

Launch time is also crazily long, and highly variable, from two minutes to more than 10 until Spotify is fully loaded and usable.

These delays are all specific to the Spotify desktop app.  The web browser version and mobile app both launch in seconds, and playlists open instantly, and search results appear as fast as you can type the query, no matter how large the playlist being searched. 

Unfortunately, the web version and mobile app both lack key features only found on the Spotify desktop app.

Suggested posts