Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify keeps opening on startup [Windows 10]

Spotify keeps opening on startup [Windows 10]

Hi all—

I'm currently running Windows 10. It seems after a recent update, Spotify keeps opening whenever I startup Windows as if the option to do so is selected, even though it is not. I conciously toggle Spotify to do nothing (not even minimized) during startup. I've tried this on several computers with Windows 10, so I can confirm this is not isolated to a single computer. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Please resolve. Thank you.

—Shaun

12 Replies

same with me started happening 2 or 3 days ago, I already checked for spotify not to open on startup but it still does, also there's no spotify on msconfig to stop from opening on startup I don't know what to do right now its really pissing me off.

Yeah I updated to 1.0.58 and I'm experiencing the same problem.

I went to Task Manager, the Startup tab, and disabled Spotify from there and so far haven't had any problems.

I'm sorry, but this isn't a good solution. This is essentially just having Windows override and disable a startup process. There shouldn't be a need to force that. The problem is in Spotify's software, and it should be put to rights.

—Shaun

Same here - 1.0.58, on two different Windows 10 machines. I've tried toggling the auto-startup setting in Preferences on/off again, but that doesn't have any impact, the setting is being ignored.

Same issue here with update 1.0.58, although I'm running Windows 7. 

I initially tried setting the "Open Spotify automatically.... " to NO, but that didn't work. 

I noticed that "Allow Spotify to be opened from the web" was set to ON. I changed it to OFF which seems to have fixed the issue. 

I'm thinking now that it's not the app, rather something in the background has changed with our Spotify accounts that tries to open the app remotely?

Exactly! And im paying for**bleep**! Im actually thinking how legally this could be illegal.

Same here, i disbled the option to open spotify on startup, but it doesn't work at all, this should be fixed long time ago, I can't believe I'm paying for this.

Alright fellas having this issue. I just registered an account just to provide a fix since no one seemed to have found it.

Open your Spotify App in Windows 10 and then go to the three 'dots' icon (located on the app's upper left corner). Then go to:

Edit > Preferences 

This takes you to the 'Settings' page. Scroll ALL the way down on that page and click 'Show Advanced Settings'. This will display additional settings if you scroll further down in the same page. Under 'Startup and Windows Behaviour' you will find the option to choose NO to 'Open Spotify after you log into the computer'.

Hope everyone finds this useful. Cheers!

This is the first thing anyone tried. Spotify keeps opening DESPITE that option being set to "no".

Hi, as many people have said above, the problem still persists even though you might adjust the advanced settings within Spotify. I am yet to find a solution also.

I don't know what to tell you. It worked just fine for me and spotify no longer starts during Windows 10 startup 😕

Suggested posts