Spotify not recognizing internet connection

Solved!

Spotify not recognizing internet connection

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Everything.  Multiple people, multiple devices: Windows 10, Samsung Galaxy8, 10, iPhone 10, etc.  On and on.  

Operating System

Name it.

My Question or Issue

Spotify often times doesn't recognize that there's an internet connection or it takes far too long to do so.  I figured this would be resolved after years of using your service, just hoping that you'd recognize and address the issue, but, alas, you have not.  

This has happened accross every device I've ever used, and my friends and family all have the issue.  It's not consistent, but it always takes Spotify much longer than every other application in the world to recognize an internet connection.  In fact, often times Spotify needs to be restarted to reconnect to the internet.  It's almost 2020 and this is absolutely unacceptable for a modern piece of software.  

The existing post most focused around this issue is tagged as "Not Resolved".  I know it's not just me. 

Please acknowledge that this is an issue, accept responsibility for it, and fix it.  

Thanks,

Matt

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey folks,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this.

We just wanted to confirm that we are aware of a wider issue concerning connectivity across devices which we're currently investigating in this Ongoing Issue thread.

We suggest that you head there and try the troubleshooting steps which have been suggested in the status update. If those don't work for you, then make sure to click +VOTE and check back in the thread - we'll make sure to provide you with an update on our progress as soon as we have one.

Thanks in advance for your patience!

View solution in original post

14 Replies

Hi there @msquicc,

thanks for reaching out !

What happens when you're using your Spotify account on a different network?

or another WiFi connection ?

Does this happen across all devices ?

Thanks for your cooperation 🙂

Yes, it's not a network issue.  

As I mentioned, it's been happening for years accross many devices.  

I should have mentioned that it doesn't matter where I am or what network, either.  It can be Wifi, Copper, mobile data, etc.  Doesn't matter. 

It's a constant issue that Spotify either

a) doesn't recognize an internet connection at all and needs to be restarted, even if the connection is perfectly fine and every other application on the device is working fine

b) takes WAY too long to reconnect if a connection is lost

It is an obvious issue with the software that's been around for years. 

I honestly wouldn't even believe that you haven't experienced this problem yourself, at some point.  You've never opened Spotify to find it says "no internet connection" when you definitely have one?  

I forgot to say that. But it's only the desktop app having this problem. The web player and on my phone it works fine.

EDIT: accidentally posted it in the wrong thread. but i have the same issue.

I'm sure a million other people do, too.  

Still not a single legitimate response from a Spotify employee.  

This has been happening for years on every version of the software I've ever tried, and they just do not care.  I KNOW I'm not the only one.  There's something wrong with the code they're using to detect an internet connection or something.  

Spotify: You're offline.

Me: Ok, let's as Google, then.  Google, am I offline?  

Google: Obviously not.  7 million results on how Spotify should fix this issue in .001 nanoseconds. 

Me: Ok, I'll listen to Qobuz cuz I'm tired of Spotify not caring and not offering some reasonable quality streaming.  Qobuz, are you offline?  

Qobuz: No, what would you like to listen to in amazing quality, Matt? 

Me: I love you Qobuz.  Now, if you could just offer me some of the awesome features of Spotify...  

Guaranteed the only response I get to this, if any, is some wonderful community member trying to help when they can't.  

Someone suggested DNS as a solution, and removed their post, maybe?  Not sure.  Either way, I appreciate their input, but I can 99% guarantee DNS is not the
problem.

That would mean name resolution is failing all over the place, on every
device I've ever used Spotify on. That's A LOT of devices, accross many
different DNS providers.
I usually prefer Quad9 DNS, personally.

If that's the case, Spotify is doing something whacky with their servers
and can fix it on their end.

It is very clearly a problem with the actual software.  

Hi @msquicc@Shioro,

I was able to find two relevant threads regarding the same issue as yours.

You'll be able to find a fixed one here and another one under investigation here.

Both consist almost the same steps provided by Spotify support team.

Check them out and let me know how it goes.

In the meanwhile, please make sure that your system is fully updated across all devices and that Spotify has all the exceptions (Anti-Virus/Firewall) needed to operate properly.

I've also passed this info on to the right Spotify factors so if you have any more questions, please add them here and share the process with me.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation 🙂

I've been experiencing a similar problem as Matt months again yet, several times...

mainly on my android app, while I'm on a train, whereas other internet functionality was working!

The strange thing is that (smartphone has dual sim) when I switched my mobile data to the other SIM, the problem was sometimes solved.

I don't have time to read the long discussion threads as the one below, but if someone fro the Spotify support staff (or some experienced user) can point my to a clear solution (preferably short and easy), I would be quite grateful... because I admit that , just as it is frustrating to Matt, this destroys our music experience by Spotify considerably!

Moreover, although I'm paying about €10 each month to Spotify, I lost yet a considerable part of the time I could/should profit from Spotify due to this & other technical trouble with it... while I switched to the free Music player of youtube, which actually is available all the time!

It was pulled by support, reason: "I edited it too many times" -.-

My problems, like you described, were solved by inputing DNS adresses (for me: dns.watch ).

Hi Peter(roflpoffel), thanks for your fast reaction.
I don't know "dns.watch". How can I input my DNS addresses? Some addresses
I get from my internet provider? To be inuit into my Spotify settings??
Thanks for helping me (dns dummy) out!
Peter

Hi, 

Thank you for reaching out.  

The first link provided seems related, but the second doesn't really.  

Either way, I don't know what I have to say to get this across.  This is not an issue with some setting on anyone's device.  

It is PAINFULLY OBVIOUSLY that it's a problem with the way the Spotify software looks for / recognizes an internet connection.  Something is wrong with it.  I am so sure that people everywhere have this problem.  I should start a meme about how Spotify is the only software that's offline while the rest of the world is online.  

Spotify, please actually investigate and do something about it.  I guarantee all you have to do is use Spotify on any device for a week to reproduce this problem.  

Thanks

Marked as solution

Hey folks,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this.

We just wanted to confirm that we are aware of a wider issue concerning connectivity across devices which we're currently investigating in this Ongoing Issue thread.

We suggest that you head there and try the troubleshooting steps which have been suggested in the status update. If those don't work for you, then make sure to click +VOTE and check back in the thread - we'll make sure to provide you with an update on our progress as soon as we have one.

Thanks in advance for your patience!

Indeed Matt, let's hope that Spotify staff members 'wake up' and actually DO something on it... just as another - even more irritating/frustrating - problem I'm experiencing daily (https://community.spotify.com/t5/Other-Partners-Web-Player-etc/Oooops-something-went-wrong-while-loa...), the fact that my webplayer plants on one or several Spotify numbers!

PAINFULLY obvious: it will be painful for Spotify staff when they ascertain that they are losing paying customers because of these problems not getting solved...
But for the internet connection: let's give it 1 more chance and look at the answer of moderator Peter ('Hey folks') some minutes ago ("status update"). My problem is finding some more time time to try this out... And I'm running out of time and PATIENCE!

Thank you.
I recall seeing that thread, but it didn't appear as though it's being
taken seriously.
I am happy that it's being investigated.

--Matt

Not sure if this is the same issue or not, but for the last few days the desktop app has told me that there is no internet connection. I eventually uninstalled and reinstalled, but now get an error message after entering my passowrd - error code auth:15 saying that a firewall may be blocking Spotify.

Suggested posts