Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify prevents Windows from shutting down

Solved!

Spotify prevents Windows from shutting down

Every time I shut downWindows 7 x64 (on a fast computer), I get a message saying that Spotify prevents Windows from shutting down. If I manually tries to exit Spotify, it takes just a few milliseconds, so that should not be the problem.

Is it possible to make Spotify automatically exit when Windows shuts down?

/Maxxan

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Seems like it's fixed with version 1.0.36.124

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Yeah I was having the same problem but the latest update (a few days ago) fixed it. Check that you are running 1.0.36 in the about page. 

Marked as solution

Thats weird..

1.0.36 Working fine on Win10 and 8.1

88 Replies

Same here and this is quite annoying,

happens on both my windows pcs at home and at work. Please fix it, because i want my pc to shutdown, when i shut it down!

Yes please, there has to be a way to fix this. It's so annoying, I'll tell my computer to restart or shut down and walk away forgetting that Spotify pulls this trick, then come back hours later only to find--absolutely nothing took place.

spotifyshutdown.png

Yes I have the exact same thing on windows 7 64. Everything is fully updated.

This seems to be an issue that happens regardless of how fast one's PC is. Except for manually closing it down before shutting down your PC, there currently isn't anything else you could do.

Started running into this myself. The problem is, it only happens on one of my computers. The other computer is fine. Both running Windows 7 x64 are fairly new hardware and fully updated. The issue started very recently for me (couple weeks ago?).

I've tried reinstalling. I've tried uninstalling, removing everything I could find about Spotify's install, then reinstalling.

The computer with the issue is a desktop machine. The one without the issue is a laptop. Both have the same generation of Intel Core i7 CPU. Desktop has AMD graphics, laptop has Intel graphics. Both computers are running on SSDs. Desktop has 16gb of RAM, laptop has 4gb.

I've exhausted my extensive troubleshooting skills on this and am about to just uninstall Spotify on my desktop altogether. This is bad considering I'm a premium subscriber. I also use Spotify on my phone and it seems to work fine on my laptop, so I have that at least.

Sorry but I don't accept "nothing you can do" as a valid solution. 

From what it looks like, it seems it's not a problem with Win7 but with the application, as no other program does this on my computer. There have been a couple updates to Spotify within the past month, so maybe it's a bug.

This problem happens on my win7 pro 64 bit desktop and win7 pro 64 laptop and on my win7 home premium 32 machines.  I happens on all my computers. This is getting very bothersome.  It certainly is wasting energy when I walk away from the computer thinking I've shut it down and it stays on hung on by spotifuggle.    It has me contemplating whether to try the competition......

Hey guys 🙂 

I am going to escalate this as an issue to the Spotify team. Would you be able to provide:

- Your Spotify version (Help > About)

- Your Windows version

The more details we can gather the better!

Thanks

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

As of the time of this posting, these are my stats for Spotify:

spotifyversion.PNG

And for the computer in question:

systemstats.PNG

Here's my detalis

- Windows 7, 64-bit.

- V. 0.9.4.185g7545a404

Cheers

Windows 7 x64 Home Premium, SP1

Spotify.png

Spotify:
Version 0.9.4.185.g7545a404

Windows:
Windows 7 Ultimate
Service Pack 1
Rating: 7.7
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.4 GHz
Installed memory: 16 GB
System type: 64-bit Operating System

Windows 7 Home Premium, service pack 1, 64 bit.

Spotify 0.9.4.185.g7545a404

Thanks for the details guys! 

If anyone else is having this issue, please add your details here 🙂 

Peter

Peter

Win7 64 bit (details see screen)

please fix soon! gets annoying 😕

win.PNG
Spot.PNG

Thanks for posting the image.... That is what I see.

Spotify LISTEN UP.....  I pay very high electric rates in California - ridiculously high rates.  This problem caused by your program is costing me money.  You need to fix this or people like me will go to another service.

@krauster wrote:

Thanks for posting the image.... That is what I see.

Spotify LISTEN UP.....  I pay very high electric rates in California - ridiculously high rates.  This problem caused by your program is costing me money.  You need to fix this or people like me will go to another service.

You know you could just manually close Spotify before shutting down? - literally takes 2 seconds if it is costing you money. 

Peter

Peter

To add to the recommendation of closing the program prior to shutdown, you get an option to close all running apps during the shutdown process while Spotify is holding things up. Additionally, if you really believe this is costing you more than a dime or two per month, you could just uninstall it until this is resolved. You should get notifications for updates to this thread having responded to it (as that is the default subscription option) so it should be easy to watch for someone to say it's fixed for them and try it out. In the meantime, Spotify provides a web player.

For me, this is just an annoyance, as it tells me there's a problem with the software or the computer. I'm not too worried about it running up my electric bill.

I am having the same problem, Spotify running prevents the PC from shutting down.

Windows 7 x64 Pro, Spotify version 0.9.4.185.g7545a404

Please address this problem as it is a severe annoyance, on an otherwise quick system.  

Suggested posts