Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify randomly shuts off

Solved!

Spotify randomly shuts off

When playing music and leaving it for a few minutes or so, the app just crashes itself and turns off. Sometimes it will finish a song or 2 before crashing, other times it will crash in the middle of 1 song. Either way, it has been getting really troublesome. This issue does not persist with the mobile app of Spotify. I have tried doing a clean uninstall and reinstallation of the apps and tried both the desktop app download and windows store app downloads, with both having the same issue. I am confused as to what's actually causing it and if I could get some assistance with this as other threads and looking up troubleshooting guides aren't really helping.

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 11

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @TedRLY

Thanks for getting back to us and letting us know. 

Fantastic news! Give us a shout if it starts misbehaving again; we're always here to help.

Have a good one 🙂

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Hey there @TedRLY

Thanks for commenting out to the Community about this.

We appreciate you mentioning all the steps that you've already tried to solve this.

Here are a few other things you can try:

• Disable any antivirus or ad-blocking software that might be affecting the app, and turn off VPN if in use.
  • Remove host files. Head here to find out how.
  • Try opening the app as administrator by right-clicking the Spotify icon  
  • Right-click the Spotify icon > Properties > Compatibility. Here you can choose to run the app as compatible with an earlier version of Windows.

In case the issue persists, it'd be great if you could let us know your Spotify version.

Keep us in the loop and let us know if you have any questions.

ElenaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I don't have any antivirus besides the standard windows defender. No VPN either. I went to the host file and didn't find anything worth deleting. Opening as an administrator does not really change anything, and I have tried compatibility mode for both windows 7 and 8 with the same result.

Spotify for Windows
1.1.91.824.g07f1e963

Hi @TedRLY!

In that case it's worth restarting your PC in Safe Mode with Networking to see if the issue would persist there. Safe mode basically allows only the core Windows programs to run, which would help us narrow down the probable cause for this, as it's possible that another program is interfering with Spotify.

In case the issue persists, try changing the priority for the Spotify processes in Task Manager, under the Details tab by right-clicking on one of them > Set priority. Experiment with different settings to see if that does the trick. Make sure also that the affinity is set to All Processors for all Spotify processes.

Let us know how it goes. Cheers!

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Spotify was kept offline so I couldn't test any music on safe mode with networking. 

Changing the priority of Spotify in my task manager doesn't seem to change anything.

Hey @TedRLY,

Thank you for your response.

Even if the app is set offline, it is necessary to perform a restart in safe mode to see if any other app or program could be interfering with the normal behavior of the app. This "safe mode process" restarts your PC using only a limited set of basic drivers, plus the networking drivers. To know how to perform this safe mode restart, just follow the steps listed here.

If the issue persists, would you mind checking with a different network connection to see if it makes any difference? In case you don't have another one available, you can use a mobile data hotspot to test it.

We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Sorry for the late reply, I had been busy.

It seems the issue fixed itself, I am not encountering issues with spontaneous crashes mid-songs. 

Marked as solution

Hey @TedRLY

Thanks for getting back to us and letting us know. 

Fantastic news! Give us a shout if it starts misbehaving again; we're always here to help.

Have a good one 🙂

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Yeah, I was having the same issue but not on PC. I was facing this issue on the mobile app. After re-installing the app, the issue seems to be fixed. 

Suggested posts