Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify search breaks spotify

Spotify search breaks spotify

Ever since one of the later updates to Spotify, the app breaks whenever I try to search for an artist or a song through the desktop app (tried on web browser, that works fine). When that happens I have to force close the process through Task Manager, otherwise I couldn't do anything in the app. I have tried uninstalling Spotify, deleting every spotify appdata folders and then reinstalling in safe mode which makes it work for about an hour before it breaks again when I try to search for something. Added to that, if I don't boot in safe mode I keep getting the Error 17 when I try installing Spotify again. I also tried installing Spotify through the Microsoft store, which has the same issue as the standalone installer. I have no idea what I can do to fix this.

4 Replies

I have the same issue since the last update. Also tried a clean reinstall but it's still broken.

Same here 😞

Similar thing here: search breaks the app, both "classic" desktop and Microsoft Store - spotify.exe process starts using 25% of CPU, UI of the app became unresponsive (not like when whole app freezes, but buttons from the left are still pressable, though they are doing nothing).

Search works for some time after reintallation and then breaks again.

I had the same issue, but stumbled onto a solution -- any Spotify search effort would result in a several-minute freeze or Spotify would simply close. After a computer restart, a similar failed search eventually resulted a "Recent Searches" page. I scrolled to the bottom of the LONGGGG list and cleared all Recent Searches. Problem solved.

Suggested posts