Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unlink songs!!

Unlink songs!!

I've had 30,000 songs from my local library added to my home Win 10 desktop Spotify for ages.. Sometimes I use this library for select songs that I sync to my Android phone over the same wireless network.

Today at work, on the web client and where I cant connect to my phone, I found some playlists published by a local radio station. Within were several songs linked to my local library on my home PC even though the songs within the playlist should be linked to the streaming library.

Tonight I have blown away my local library on my PC, I've even renamed my profile folder within appdata and still these songs in these playlists are linked to local files I have removed.

Will my metadata sort its self out or is there a way I can unlink all these songs???

I've seen other posts that indicate there was a feature in previous versions of the desktop client you used to be able to select a song and unlink it, but this feature was removed? What gives?

Plan

Premium

Country

Aus

Device

PC, Phone

Operating System

Win 10, Android

2 Replies

Hi @Khuntza

Welcome to the Community and thanks for reaching out about this. 

Could you send us a screenshot in which we can see your local files with the songs you found in other playlists?

Additionally, would you mind sending us the link of the other playlist you mentioned?

On another note, keep in mind that even if your local files show in a playlist for other users, they won't be able to listen to them because only you have the original files and you can listen to them exclusively from your PC and the devices you download the local files.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply 🙂

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi @Eni,

Well this is embarrassing..

Here is the link to the playlist I was looking at.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4urE2yjyJmaHKxKEBMabUe?si=yZwI1OeSQae8q14O86KOSw

When I looked at work and saw the greyed out songs and I thought that was because they were linked to my local library at home. When I tested this I searched the playlist in an incognito tab without my account being signed in. Instead of finding the problem playlist, I must have looked at this playlist..

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3y0gG2pbKH57b1heWfg9Y7?si=xSI0yTjBRhyOfAX4MVC7QA

As the 'missing' songs were there, it furthered my belief that it was related to songs that I knew were added to my local library at home.

Now what I understand to be the issue is that 'triple j' had added songs from albums they had previously released on Spotify and have since taken down, leaving broken links in their own playlists.

Removing my local library at home was never going to resolve the broken links. But at least my library is cleaner now 🙂

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Topic can be closed and filed under 'dumbass'.

Suggested posts