Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Windows 10 Spotify app can't use chrome cast because of google?

Solved!

Windows 10 Spotify app can't use chrome cast because of google?

Hi all,

Plan

Premium

Device

Windows 10 PC connected over Lan.

My Question or Issue

I was looking for a way to cast directly from the Windows 10 Spotify app to my Chrome cast (I know all the workarounds. More in the end). I found this old forum post and I was wondering is this is still accurate?

8/29/19

"I recently contacted Spotify support to raise this issue and got the following response

"This is on Google's end as they haven't implemented any integration with Windows directly. All chrome cast sessions on Windows, need to be started from Chrome because of this.
We suggest that you contact Google in regards to this for further help."

I can't find anything that hints that Google (or Spotify) is working on this feature. 

@All: has anyone found a solution that allows the W10 Spotify app cast directly?
@Spotify: do you have an ongoing request for this feature where us users can at our voice to? 

Kind regards,

Koen.

PS: the reason I'm asking this is because my main usage is casting from my PC and Android phone. To be frank the casting user experience is mediocre at best:

-using the W10 app simultaneous with the Android app un-checks the "repeat track" at random.
-Casting connection from my phone is unstable because Android sees it as battery and background abuser that needs to be terminated (Netflix and Youtube also have this problems).
-Spotify removed the option to shuffle ALL SONGS
-the 'mechanical' volume control buttons when casting stop working at if you have multiple apps in the background. 

What I'm actually asking is if Spotify is working on improving casting or should I just go back to torrenting and use my media server? I can't really justify the ~€ 10,- a month for something that annoys way to often/much. 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Good news!

You can now find Chromecast in the connect "devices available" menu in the Spotify desktop app and browser web player. Now you can cast your music to Chromecast from the desktop app without having to use the iOS or Android app.

Make sure your Spotify desktop app is up to date

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

I also find this extremely frustrating as well as many many people. 

I've had a friend recently have issues with Google Chomecasts across subnets, which lead me down a rabbit hole of how Chromecasts discover works.  From my point its quite simple, it uses mDNS, which is a common discovery protocol.

I'll leave out the technical bits apart from the fact this lead me to investigate what the Windows Spotify application is doing to discover said Chromecast devices.  Basically it doesn't, it only queries for "spotify-connect" using mDNS.

Additionally, I have looked at what other Windows applications do to query "googlecast" devices.  So I can compare what Spotify is doing.

I'm not sure what is going on here, I read the same comments as you did regarding putting the blame onto Google, saying desktop apps aren't supported.  This IMO does not sound correct, I've searched for Google stating this and find nothing, but I do find references to being able to play Videos from Windows PCs.  Not just that but the discovery piece is common and already works within Spotify as they use it for Spotify Connect, they just don't query for googlecast.  Now there might be some weird issue with playing after discovery, but I don't see any reason why Spotify took support away for this.  It worked when I first got Spotify.

Marked as solution

Good news!

You can now find Chromecast in the connect "devices available" menu in the Spotify desktop app and browser web player. Now you can cast your music to Chromecast from the desktop app without having to use the iOS or Android app.

Make sure your Spotify desktop app is up to date

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Yes, Thanks!
Finally it's working.

This is great, it now works, thank you.

Suggested posts