Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Windows 10 disable auto startup

Solved!

Windows 10 disable auto startup

Since the last upgrade Spotify (free version) starts every time I turn on the computer.  This is really aggravating.  When I want it on, I'll turn it on.  Otherwise don't mess with my computer.  Could you please advise how to disable this automatic startup?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi,

That is because Spotify is set to automatically start after you log into your computer.

Usually you get a message when it is set to start automatically, but you might have missed it 🙂

Here's the solution: Go to Settings, and click 'Show advanced settings.' There you can set Spotify to start automatically or not in 'Startup and Window Behaviour.' Now it won't open when you log into your computer unless you open it.

View solution in original post

Untitled.png
hdh.png
16 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi,

That is because Spotify is set to automatically start after you log into your computer.

Usually you get a message when it is set to start automatically, but you might have missed it 🙂

Here's the solution: Go to Settings, and click 'Show advanced settings.' There you can set Spotify to start automatically or not in 'Startup and Window Behaviour.' Now it won't open when you log into your computer unless you open it.

Untitled.png
hdh.png

NCS-Falcon, thank you so much!

The option to disable auto-start is no longer available on Spotify settings.

I can see Spotify and Spotify Web Helper in the Task Manager > Startup list. Windows has disabled the ability to Disable Spotify startup.

Well I've seen the option, in Advanced Settings, and I have it set for No (Do Not load when I log into my computer) and Spotify STILL auto loads. **bleep**.....No means No.

Spotify.....please FIX your software.

As in Scottmorrison's post, I've changed the advanced settings as indicated. I've disabled auto-start in the Task manager (as well as in CCleaner). SPOTIFY STILL AUTO-STARTS. What is your solution?

I believe this issue is caused by the latest version of Windows 10 ( The Fall Creators Update ) where applications opened when shutting down the computer will be reopened upon boot.

AFAIK there is currently no solution to turn this off. Here is a workaround though:

https://superuser.com/questions/1261910/after-windows-10-fall-creators-update-recent-used-app-will-l...

Thanks for the reply DraughtGlobe. I'll try this and hopefully it'll solve (read "patch up") the problem.

wow really if this is the case I will be removing this program and stop paying my membership

I have the same issue.  Good job spotify.  I am thinking how to i create an app that users can not prevent from auto loading.  Seems intruisive for sure.

It's Windows's fault, not Spotify. And stop swearing like a child.

For those that have the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, where Spotify will be opened on startup even after you've changed the setting: there's a fix for that now.

Settings > Accounts > Sign-In Options > Privacy
Then set "Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart." to Off.

This disables re-opening any application that you had open when you shutdown/rebooted your system.

And just as a note for those who thought they had already turned this off, The Last Windows System Upgrade turned it back on just to catch you out, [or at least it did to me] so it's worth going round and checking ALL your settings after a major patch to check what’s been reset [or added on an inconvenient default]. It's a necessary pain in the **bleep**.

You know. Putting 'bleep' in there makes it look worse than what I actually wrote...

This works.  Thank you very much!

This no longer works for me. I have "Use my sign-in info to automatically finish...." turned off and Spotify still opens when I turn on my computer.

Starts up every. single. time.  Spotify customer support is USELESS and CLUELESS.

I am seriously looking at trying other companies.  T

Suggested posts