Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Windows App Crashing/Automatically Uninstalling

Windows App Crashing/Automatically Uninstalling

Since the upgrade to my windows app yesterday, I can play about two songs, and then the app crashes and then uninstalls itself. I've never seen anything like it. I don't think it's got anything to do with an antivirus program, as I get no notifcations that it's been flagged or removed. It just crashes and then it's gone from my computer. Gone from the programs list, all shortcuts automatically deleted. The "roaming data" folder does not automatically remove, so I have tried fully removing the app by deleting the C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\ folder, re-downloading and then reinstalling; that does not fix it. 

Thanks for your help!

28 Replies

It's the same for me. Worked fine till today. Reinstalling didn't help 😞

The same is happening for me and it's beyond frustrating.  The app crashes mid-song and AppData\Roaming\Spotify\Spotify.exe is deleted.  This is unacceptable for a paid service (I have a Premium Family plan).

I also have a premium family plan. I wonder if that is related.

That's a good question.  To my knowledge, I didn't update Spotify this morning unless it auto-updated.  I can't figure out what changed between yesterday and today.

It may have auto-updated just by closing it yesterday and reopening it today. I believe it has that functionality. 

I wish I could install the previous version just to test... but I'm not sure where/if I can find that.

I looked around before posting this and wasn't able to find a way to roll back the version. There were no older version installers posted anywhere I could see.

my current version is: 1.0.52.725.g943b26a8

Yes same as mine - 1.0.52.725.g943b26a8

What's interesting is that I created Copy-Spotify.exe and used that to open the app (which is just a copy of the original Spotify.exe).  When the app crashes it deleted Copy-Spotify.exe.

I have reached out to them on twitter to draw their attention to this thread. They say they are working on the issue.Screenshot_2.png

Can you link me to the Twitter conversation please? 🙂

No, sorry, it's in a direct message which is why I inserted the screenshot.

Ahh okay no worries.  Please let me know if there is any follow-up from them! 

For what it's worth, I'm also on Windows 7 service pack 1 64-bit OS

rlpietraszek - have you gotten an update from the Spotify Twitter team?

Nope, I'll update this thread as soon as I do.

thank you 🙂

Suggested posts