Windows app scanning hard drive

ajoh
Casual Listener

Plan

Premium

Device

Windows 10 (app) desktop

My Question or Issue

Everytime the spotify app starts (on start up) I can see it thrashing the hard drive, looking at task manager confirms it's hammering my hard drive.

I don't want apps stalking through my hard drive, I certainly never gave it permission to do this.

I can't see how to disable it eaither. I've looked in preferences and the 'show local files' option has been disabled.

Is it possible to stop this behaviour? I'm not going to be using the app until I can.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution!

Re: Windows app scanning hard drive

Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16

@ajoh 

The source selection pops up when the "show local files" is enabled. That's when you can unselect specific sources.

Yea, I have seen users with such high numbers of mp3's having issues with Spotify and local files...

Maybe it stops when you try unselecting the sources.

Let me know how you get on :)

SebastyRock Star 16
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
6 Replies

Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16

Hey @ajoh 

That's quite a strange issue!

Local files should not cause the "hard drive hammering" unless maybe once when Spotify collects local file data (with "show local files" turned on) and there are thousands of mp3's.

I would definitely recommend reinstalling the app. It could be an odd glitch removable with a reinstall. See this article on how to do a clean reinstall!

You could try a different version of a Spotify app - if you're using a standalone install, check out the Microsoft Store's Spotify app, and the other way around.

If the issue continues, it might be useful to install Process Monitor. This tool (created by Microsoft) shows all processes that are taking place and can show what Spotify is trying to do.

Let me know how it goes! :)

SebastyRock Star 16

ajoh
Casual Listener

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried the windows store version (I was previously using the standalone app downloaded from the website). This does exactly the same a few seconds after it loads it starts hammering the drive.

I haven't installed processes but the drive that's getting hit (at 100% according to task manager) is the one with all my MP3s on, so I guess it's scanning them.

It's a fresh install from a couple of days ago as I've only just started using spotify.

Honestly, it seems more like a virus than an app.

Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16

Hey @ajoh 

Is there a lot of mp3s on that drive, and did you turn off local files (as well as unselect any sources) in Preferences?

It could be that Spotify is stuck to reading one of them. I haven't seen this happen to Spotify, but I have had such an issue with some wav files and Windows itself where Procmon shows huge amounts of "read" processes on a single file. Removing the file helps in that case.

I understand you have multiple drives in your system?

SebastyRock Star 16

ajoh
Casual Listener

Yes it is a separate drive, and it does have a lot of MP3s (10,000s).

I can't see anywhere to unselect sources in preferences, just the option to include local media (which is disabled).

Highlighted
Solution!

Rock Star 16
Rock Star 16

@ajoh 

The source selection pops up when the "show local files" is enabled. That's when you can unselect specific sources.

Yea, I have seen users with such high numbers of mp3's having issues with Spotify and local files...

Maybe it stops when you try unselecting the sources.

SebastyRock Star 16

ajoh
Casual Listener

Thanks, turning those off after turn on local files did the trick.

Still seems like really bad practice on the part of spotify scanning your drive when you haven't told it to and then hiding the option to disable it until after you've turned local files on!

SUGGESTED POSTS