Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

cannot delete song from library?

Solved!

cannot delete song from library?

When I select either the album or song in the library the delete is greyed out, am I missing something?

64 Replies

The tracks I am talking about are not tracks from windows media player or anywhere on my laptop.  They are tracks that I have previously starred and I have unstarred them.  Unstarring them does not remove them & they are not in any playlists.  I love spotify but it is really annoying not being able to delete songs you don't want anymore.  This needs to be sorted out. 

Just to be clear, I have linked spotify together with my itunes library.  Maybe for people who haven't done this, unstarring the tracks does remove them, but for me, tracks that I have previously starred and subsequently unstarred remain in my linked library.  I might try unlinking my itunes library and see if that works

I have the same problem than explains before : impossible to delete a track of the library weather if it's starred or not... Delete is always grey

This does not solve the problem.

I have the same problem, I linked spotify with my itunes and it loaded all of my music.

Then I deleated a few bands I no longer like or want to listen to from my computer, but I cannot remove them from my spotify playlist.

The songs are no longer on my computer and cannot play in offline mode(they still play when im online), but the delete option is grey and I cannot remove them. It seems this is a problem for a lot of users so I am not going to sign up like I was planning to untill this is resolved. Thanks ahead of time for any responces.

Figured out the solution. Even if the files are removed you have to remove them from your 'local files' collection, playlist. I dont know why it is set up like that but it is, so there you go.

I had the same problem and couldn't find a solution anywhere. Then I realized that under playlists there is an iTunes playlist. After I deleted that, it worked! So first go to Preferences, then under local files uncheck where it says show tracks from these sources. Then on the left side you'll see Collection, Add New Playlist and a list of the playlists. At the bottom is iTunes. Just right click on that "playlist" and delete it. Then all the songs from iTunes which were imported to your Spotify will be deleted. Hope it helps you! (If you still have unwanted files in your library, you can delete them directly from "local files" and they'll be deleted from your library as well.

"If the song you wish to remove from your library is a starred track, simply unstar it."  You're kidding right?  I have spent an hour trying to remove ONE song I downloaded from Spotify.  It is in the Library only, not any playlists.  It is not a local track.  I have unstarred it.  I have starred it and unstarred it.  I have unstarred it and logged out of spotify and logged back in.  IT IS STILL THERE.  Let me guess, you guys at spotify get paid for every song downloaded from spotify that is on someone's computer.  If they remove it you don't get paid.  Therefore you make it impossible to delete.  However, I have found a way to delete an unwanted song.  It's simply, just cancel your subscription to spotify and poof the song goes away!  Let's start by canceling my subscription!  Cancel it NOW!

Let me tell you what worked for me. 

If you are trying to delete a song from the play cue, it will be greyed out. If you have added songs via subscribing to a playlist, you have to manually track down the playlist in your library and delete the track from there. 

Annoying, but that's the way it works...

Accidentally I imported a library that isn't mine when working on a Mac, now many months ago.  This library is filled with lousy music that  I do NOT want. It proved impossible to delete this rather huge library.  I ignored this problem .

Since that time new apps were developped, like swarm.fm. These apps are heavily distorted because  of this unwanted library that I cannot delete.

Currently the solution for me is not to use swarm.fm. Spotify is that what you want?  Why not a simple trick to get rid of these kind of libraries?

Are you listening Spotify??? I really loved this at first, i added a few things that i thought were the same artist-- had the same name-- and they suck,, i want them off-period. Should be simple. Id cancel if i was paying for it. Think i will go back to Pandora--its  a simple click of a button and they wont play that song anymore.  ALL these posts,, im thankful for your help, but didnt work for me.

Also having the Same Issue. Personal Library, Can't delete ANY tracks, no starred content, or playlists. Just Freshly imported songs. Delete option is grayed out.

Also, I've pinpointed WHEN this started happening to me. I Imported my Bayside Albums, And deleted duplicates. After Editing a track name with the Edit Info Option to get the album art to show up, this is when i could not delete any further songs.

The tracks would need to be removed from the playlist in question. If it's a local file, remove it from the "Local Files" section on the left hand side.
Airhorn Enthusiast

I FIGURED IT OUT!  So, if you right click on the track, there will be an option called, "Go To Replacement".  Click that, go back to the track and voila!  The delete button is no longer greyed out.  I hope this helps!

1. Right click the song you wish to remove

2. Select "Go To Replacement"

3. Relocate the track in your library

4. Right click on the track

5. Select "Delete"

Done!!

Hope you guys skipped to the end to see this..

The only way to remove any unwanted music from the library is to create a new spotify account.

I really hope noone listened to the new guy above me here.... I was having the same issue with my stuff that you OP is or was having. I even started my own thread about it. I decided to look a bit closer at my desktop for Spotify. There below +New  Playlist was one that I never created. Called Liked From Radio or something like that..... I simply right clicked that playlist and deleted it.... All of the songs that were not starred in my library were gone. Finally. I hope this helps the OP and others that were getting frustrated. I know it works because I JUST did it.

Yep that worked for me. + New Playlist - then I just clicked on the song and it ask me to delete or keep. It took a little time to figure it out but once I did it's easy to do. Spotify just needs to explain it better and have it plainly displayed so people can see how to delete a song they no longer wish to have.

NOTHING is working! I am getting seriously aggravated and will cancel this account lickety spit.  FIX THIS asap or you are going to lose customers.  I don't want 200 songs in my Library that I downloaded and now don't listen too!! This sucks and is NOT user friendly! Give us back the delete button.

I had this problem and it was because playlists I had imported from long ago iTunes included the tracks. Once I deleted the playlists in the master iTunes playlist I was able to delete those tracks.

If you're having this problem make sure the track you can't delete doesn't exist in the iTunes playlists or Media Player playlists or local files or Liked From the Radio tracks or starred tracks or any other playlists or the play queue. If you can't delete it from your library, it's probably in one of those places.

This is how I delete songs on the laptop.

When right-clicking a song in the library, the "Delete" option is grayed out.

However, by:

- "Starring" the song (click on the star to make it yellow)

- Selecting "Starred" under "Collection" in the left-hand menu...

- ...and then right-clicking the song,

NOW the "Delete" option is selectable.

Note: I don't use playlists, don't know if one has to delete songs from playlists first.

Suggested posts