Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

cannot delete song from library?

Solved!

cannot delete song from library?

When I select either the album or song in the library the delete is greyed out, am I missing something?

64 Replies

I have multiple songs that are the same, just trying to delete some so I only have a song in my library once.

Youre obviously not using a Mac!! because preferences is not under edit. Anyway i got to the preferences and unticked all the sources in local Files and still the library is full of double and sometimes triple entries some play some don't. I came to the conclusion sometime ago that they're not interesred in Mac users. The playlists are fine so it's still quite usable but the library is a mess.

hi, is there any way to get my itunes songs to stop from showing in my spotify "library"? I really do not want my itunes music to show up on the spotify interface. I never asked for these songs to show up here. please help

@eagleinyrmind wrote:

hi, is there any way to get my itunes songs to stop from showing in my spotify "library"? I really do not want my itunes music to show up on the spotify interface. I never asked for these songs to show up here. please help

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Just head to Edit/Spotify > Preferences > Local Files > Untick all of the boxes. 

That should prevent Spotify from loading your local iTunes files after a restart. If you have an iTunes playlist on the left of your client, you will also need to delete it to get the tracks out of your library. 

If they are still showing after you restart Spotify, head to the local files tab, highlight all of the tracks (Ctrl/Cmd+a?) right click and select "Unlink Track".

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I think I tried most of the suggestions here, and I finally figured out how to delete the tracks: I went through all my playlists, and found them in an ambiguous playlist I had forgotten about. Once I deleted them from that playlist, I was able to delete them from my library. Sucess! 

What worked for me was to delete temp files (C:\Users\USERNAME_HERE\AppData\Local\Spotify\Storage), then go to 'Local Files" in spotify (delete desired files there) and then ulitmately delete those same files in your library.

I think that if the track is visible in your library view and is sourced from one of your playlists, that in turn is sourced from the Spotify network, then we should have the ability to deleted form the library view. The problem with not being able to do this is that if a person say  has 400 playlists and they don't remember which playlist this song is coming from, it will take them forever to manually sift through all the lists. If you won't allow deletion of these type of tracks from the library view, at least show (like iTunes) what playlist that song is coming from.

Hi - I'm disabled with both hands - unfortunately, I made double tracks - in both my created Spotify Place List as well in the Windows Media Player Playlist - because of my disability I repeated saving some of the same tracks, on both Playlists - the problem is I cannot delete the double tracks on both Playlists - being disabled I was careless in my track selections - please, would you be kind enough to help, by email - and/or pass this message to someone else who could help - thanks - moonrepa

[Snip-Email(Privacy)-Peter]

Hey moonrepa 🙂 

Since these are community forums, I am going to hide that email address from the public just to stop you being spammed. 

If you get in touch with the Spotify team directly using this form they will be more than happy to assist you via email 😉 

Peter

Peter

Hi Peter - thank you for your advice and help - I did not realize that I should not post my Email Address in my posts! - thanks for the tip and your response - moonrepa

Go to the song you want to delete on Spotify, right click and select "Reveal in Finder", then it will take you to the song on your computer. Then delete it. It will disappear from Spotify. 🙂

Help!  There must be some easy way to delete a song from Spotty/

If so, will somebody please provide the answer directly to :

<<SNIP>>

[Edit: Snip-Email(Privacy)-Peter]

@davesofyore - Just going to hide that email address to stop you from getting any spam, best not to post those details on a public forum. If you are looking to delete a track from your Library tab, you need to locate it in whichever playlist (or local files) it is in and delete it from there. The library tab is simply a place that Spotify displays all of your saved content. 

Peter

Peter

Ok as I find it difficult to navigate even this website, I am using a reply to get my message over.

I also cannot delete from library, why is this made so difficult?

As a result does it mean I have to delete my account and start up all over again?

As Peter said above, you delete tracks from playlists, not the library.

Hey! I had this same problem, but I figured it out! Go to 'local files' and find the songs you want to delete on there, and delete them! You can't do it anywhere other than there. Good luck.

Its quite simple really just click on the song then press backspace.

I've read all posts, tried most of those ideas that seems applicable to my case and still can't get rid of some tracks.

I have identified 3 tracks that I can't get rid of and I don't know from where I got 'em (I promise).

Love Me - Justin Beaver

Calling You - Kat Deluna

Unstoppable - Kat Deluna

I know I haven't added them to any playlists or liked on radio. This what I've done so far:

Gone trough all playlists (including Liked from radio and Starred), using filter on tracks name / artist, found nothing.

Never used or connected any device to any computer that also have Spotify with my account.

Don't use iTunes.

Never had these files on harddrive.

Unchecked any Local Files (don't have any tracks in Local Files anyway).

Tried to delete %Appdata%\Local\Spotify\Storage\ subfolders but the tracks got reloaded into Library

Starred and unstarred a track.

Tried 'Go to replacement' and back without able to delete.

Restarted Spotify.

I do have artists I follow but never others playlists, none in the same music genres as above mentioned tracks.

I might have disliked the tracks on Radio if ever they played.

What am I missing? What else can I try (apart from uninstall or cancel sub)?

yeah but that is the complicated way. How do I know in which play list it is. I have play list with 1300 handpicked songs in each: I wish there was a possibility to click a song in the library and find out in which play list it is in or even better:

an option to delete from library with a warning: this will mean that this song will be deleted from all play lists!

Library view doesn't exist in the new desktop design which is currently rolling out across the Spotify network.

Peter

Suggested posts